Win 8.1 Setting up Filezilla FTP Server

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by lostpassword, Dec 3, 2014.

1. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I am trying to setup a Filezilla FTP server on one of my PCs. I also have two other PCs all running Windows 8.1. (I have not used the third PC at all)

I did try to use the Windows FTP server, but got bogged down, so I formatted the PC with the Windows FTP software and reinstalled 8.1 in case I had messed it all up.

I am getting confused about some aspects, and the possible need for a router that does NAT Feedback, my router does not support NAT feedback. I also cannot get a fixed IP address from my ISP TalkTalk.

I have created a free account with NO-IP, but the host name cannot be chosen on the free account. The name is something like sparrow34.ddns.net (not the real one, but similar format).

I can login to the server from the other PC sharing the router by using 198.162.1.4, but cannot use the NO-IP name, which I believe is for external use from another system.
    The thing that puzzles me most, is I cannot pass any of the Online FTP server checkers. Various error messages, but one was saying something was private, but should be public. I am using WinSCP as my client, and it seems good software. I have redirected the IP4 address of the server PC to ports 20 to 21 to 192.168.1.151 (think I only need 21). I have made the IP4 address of the server to be fixed using Windows Network settings to 192.168.1.151 which is redirected on the router. So I can connect using the NO-IP user name I have added I have added 192.168 1.151 to the hosts file.

Using the other PC on the same router, If I try to connect using WINSCP as client with 192.168.1.151 as the address I go straight the shared folder, but I can see all of the folders and drives on the server, and I only shared 1 folder in FileZilla FTPSERVER. I CANNOT ping 192.168.1.2 which is the other PCs own IP4 address. I cannot connect using sparrow34.ddns.net.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I know that there are some fantastic people on this forum. I really want to know if I am wasting my time or doing something wrong wit NO-IP. On the other PC I can Ping the external IP sparow34.ddns.net, but not ping 192.168.1.151. This is puzzling me.

On the PC used as server I CAN ping 192.168.1.151 and also CAN also ping sparrow34.ddns.net

I do not use any extra anti virus of firewall, other than Windows Defender. There is hardly any other sofware on the Server. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be most grateful. I have used PCs for over 30 years since the Sirius, but as I get older I feel that I am not so sharp as I was.

2. idmanager

idmanager MDL Junior Member

Jan 25, 2010
    if this pc is just going to be used as a server then try installing server 2012 r2 onto it and use the built in IIS to set up a ftp server, if your sticking with 8.1 make sure you have the firewall setting to let the port 21 have access to the pc and that the router has port 21 forwarded to the pc with the server on. The no-ip is just sending you to the ip adress you have told it. they have a small app you can run on the pc thats got the server on that will keep the ip address updated for you so if your ip changes or is not a static one then the app updates it. hope this helps out a bit

3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Well, FTP isn't set up that easily, especially when external access is desired.
    First, there are two different modes of access: Active FTP and Passive FTP. Using one mode vs. the other influences how the data ports will be have to set up. Note the Passive FTP mode is preferred.
    If you have to deal with NAT, there are several issues that can confuse the non-techs. External/Public IPv4 addresses and URLs resolving to those cannot be used if the server is within the same LAN as the client. There the LAN IPv4 must be used to connect. Does not concern IPv6 btw, which is fully usable at least in LAN - FileZilla Server supports IPv6.

As for the data ports, you need to open and forward these, also. Contrary to other protocols, FTP uses many ports for transfers. Only the initial connection uses port 21 (can be changed, port 20 is NOT required). The data port range must be chosen by yourself inside the server settings (FZ Server calls them Custom ports). Use as many ports as you can offer, but at least 100. Forward those ports in the router (TCP only) and open them in the firewall.

External access from the outside is desired? Then you need to tell the FTP server your external IPv4. Although invalid inside the LAN, the server needs to send it in replies to transfer commands. FZ Server has a mechanism to get it by itself, however, you also can use Custom IP and enter the *.ddns address into the IP field.

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    If it was several years ago, I guess you used Serv-U Personal Edition. Sadly that one is now pay-only.

Personally, I'm using zFTPServer. It isn't free but not as expensive as Serv-U.