Win 8 $39.99 Download From Another Computer?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by gb2012, Oct 29, 2012.

1. gb2012

gb2012 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2012
    Hello,

My desktop HD crashed so I figured it was a good time to upgrade to Windows 8. Since that pc isn't running and now has a brand new blank hard drive installed, can I download the $39.99 Windows 8 from Microsoft from my laptop that has Windows 7 64 bit, create a dvd or usb stick and install that on my desktop?

Is the iso unique to the pc that downloaded it or can it be used on any 64 bit capable machine?

I've read the install doesn't let you activate if installed on a blank harddrive. If that's true does the double install method or registry change work with this Windows 8 download?

Thanks

2. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    Looks like yes. The Product Key only is validated when you've installed the operating system.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. miteshanand1729

miteshanand1729 MDL Novice

Jun 22, 2007
    Yes, You can.
    Do I have to install the Windows 8 upgrade on the eligible PC, or can I install it on another PC?

Answer: The upgrade offer is tied to a Windows 7 PC purchased between 2 June 2012 and 31 January 2013, but you can choose to redeem the offer and install the upgrade on any compatible Windows-based PC with a qualifying base operating system.

www . windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-IN/Home/Faq