Win 8 AutoUnattend.xml example & request for help

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by LiveFreeDead, Aug 7, 2012.

1. LiveFreeDead

LiveFreeDead MDL Member

Aug 3, 2012
    #1 LiveFreeDead, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  2. LiveFreeDead

LiveFreeDead MDL Member

Aug 3, 2012
    I don't have a problem with the xml provided, I simply asked if anyone knows how to bypass the Customize Settings section that has been added to Windows 8? I just want to use/set it to Express Settings by default not have that screen stop Windows from continuing to boot until I pick something, silent until the desktop/Metro.

3. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    My bad, deleted that post. Anyways, I'll be looking into the same thing in the next week or two. Have you been over to MSFN.org unattend section ?

4. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #5 HALIKUS, Aug 7, 2012
  5. LiveFreeDead

LiveFreeDead MDL Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Thanks for the AlCohol xml ;) ReturnOfNights here. Problem fixed

-Solved- (will post new xml when I finished editing it).

6. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #7 HALIKUS, Aug 7, 2012
  7. LiveFreeDead

LiveFreeDead MDL Member

Aug 3, 2012
    I'll admit it so others are aware of what happened:

processorArchitecture="amd64"

if you are making a multi architecture install.wim and forget to put in the above sections, OF CAUSE it wont automate the OOBE if your testing your x64 OS anyway.

Thanks to the above posts for helping me find the problem, if it wasn't for your dual arch xml I might have been stuck still, and I really want to put Rocket Dock in my WinPE with a few more tools ;) Off to find where is best to execute DVD:\sources\Apps\RocketDock\RocketDock.exe, winpeshl.ini or something (been years since I had a non LivePE OS, but metro rules that out for now - WinBuilder teams may come up with solutions soon tho).

8. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #9 HALIKUS, Aug 7, 2012
  9. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #10 HALIKUS, Aug 7, 2012
    I use this in my Win8\WinPE4 winpeshl.ini RON, but on an unmodified boot.wim, it needs to run setup first to get the drivers (at least my bluetooth mouse) initialized. Startnet.cmd might work better. Im sure i will steal your thechnique :)

Code:

[LaunchApps]
    %windir%\system32\netstart.exe,-prompt
    %windir%\system32\RunDelay.exe
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\sources\recovery\recenv.exe

I use a Win7PE (lastOS stylish) boot.wim that i add an installer to. If i choose Win8, it extracts the sources directory of a Win8 (x86 in x86 PE) boot.wim to the Win7PE at X:\sources (overwriting files). I also modded autorun.dll to look for w8x86.exe rather than setup.exe. Then, in the dvd root, i placed the same setup.exe renamed to w8x86.exe in dvd:\sources. I did the same for both architectures and both OS, depending on the source WinPE arch. Change the key in an xml and the proper OS shows up when you run w8x86.exe. For Vista, add the sources dir to your dvd and run from the DVD:\sources\setup.exe. The only reason i see an x64 PE nessessary is for EFI installs, and for that, i have a 4 meg grub2 bin with an efi shell that i run "refind" efi loader that i can choose the proper bootx64.efi file for Win7 and Win8 respectivly, replacing the efisys.bin with grub.bin .

In your case i would run RunDelay.exe, that calls netstart and other apps.

10. Trinket

Trinket MDL Senior Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Hehe, and this is Trouba, I see we got a home away from home here ;)

11. LiveFreeDead

LiveFreeDead MDL Member

Aug 3, 2012
    #12 LiveFreeDead, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
    (OP)
    Is it just me, or does the recenv.exe only work on the WinPE arch, eg if you have Windows x64 installed and boot from a x86 WinPE you can't do a recovery or system restore. If someone could test this and confirm please?

-----
    Safe mode is disabled by default :| what a strange decision. The only way to enable it is a 15 step process. Well at least it can detect when things are failing to boot - simple turn the PC off during boot (3 of 4 times) and you'll get a recovery menu :p

In this case, I think I'll remove recenv.exe from my RocketDock, it's useless if the installed OS offers it when it's needed.

12. LiveFreeDead

LiveFreeDead MDL Member

Aug 3, 2012
    I have this added to my DVD/USB's $Scripts\FirstLogon.cmd

rem Add dot.net 3 support
    dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:%~d0\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

and it really works, you don't have to use the online download request that Windows Live Essentials needs to install, it just installs no questions asked.

I ended up using the winpeshl.ini method and made an AutoIt script that it calls, then it moves on to an AutoIt script that does a endless loop (with Sleep delay to not use 100% CPU), so you can quit setup and stay on the WinPE. It also doesn't auto start Setup by default now, I simply put "%SystemDrive%\Setup.exe" on to the RocketDock and it's working great.

I found a weird bug with ssWPI in Windows 8 PE, it would throw an error message if trying to access an invalid file, yet every other OS and PE works perfectly fine without the new error protection I added to fix it.

I'll post more as I figure it out, but I'm at 85% mod complete now :) the polishing stage takes a while tho, rattling bugs out of the tools (wood worm?)

13. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    That sounds about right, i have a similar method.

14. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    #15 Flipp3r, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
    It will only work with the matching build. Why have you got this on your WinPE? Win 8 auto sets up winre anyway.
    I've setup my usb key with x86 & x64. I can boot either in bios mode or 64bit in UEFI. I'm finding this a better way for my win8 installs then my win7 all-in-one key.

Hmmm, I do create a Winre Tools partition first though. Win8 sets it up when I get through oobe. You can run reagentc /info to see where it's pointing or enabled....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I think I saw somewhere here that you can do this offline so it's part of your install...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #17 Mr Jinje, Aug 28, 2012
    Yes, and it will save 2-3 minutes (or more) per installation if done offline against your mounted install.wim

Code:
    dism.exe /Image:C:\mount /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:d:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

17. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
  18. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011