Win 8 Core Question..

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by harrismail, Nov 6, 2012.

1. harrismail

harrismail MDL Member

Mar 28, 2010
    #1 harrismail, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    Many friends ask me to set up their new laptops and PC's so I'm creating a master disk image of a Windows 8 Core x64 edition (which is the one that manufacturers seem to use for home PC's)
    I will keep this up to date so I can then reimage any new laptop with my "prepared" image and save having to manually install everything like Classic Shell, all OS updates, MS Office and all settings etc etc..

I plan to enter the official key that comes with each new laptop and if necessary "reactivate" the new PC either online or by phone activation. I'm hoping by doing this I can use "my" prepared image and just enter the "official" key that comes with the new PC and succesfully one way or the other activate it.

I haven't tried this method yet as none of my friends or relatives have bought a new Windows 8 PC.

My question is:-

1. Will this method work?

2. The image I'm creating obviously isn't activated and keeps reminding me of the fact. What happens as the days and weeks go by.. will the activation nags increase or worse, will the unactivated "master" copy I'm keeping become unusable?

2. Frankincense

Frankincense MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2012
    I'm curious to know if this plan might work as well?
    Anybody have any ideas?

Frankincense

3. =)(=

=)(= Guest

When i image Windows 7, i do it while it is unactivated and then i restore it 40-50 days later. What happens is that i see messages about Windows is not genuine but i just close it and get into desktop like usual and then just activate. I guess it is the same for Windows 8.

4. harrismail

harrismail MDL Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Just an update to say that my plan worked perfectly.. I created a master disk image (with ATI) of an MSDN Windows 8 Core x64 edition (which is the one that manufacturers seem to use for home PC's I've had) It contains all necessary software - M$ Office, utils, Classic Start Menu and tweaks etc etc. I keep this image current and updated then reimage any new Windows 8 Core laptop with my "prepared" image, find the key from the BIOS using the RW utility and voila it is legitimately activated.

This way I can use "my" prepared image and save loads of time setting up a Windows 8 Core PC for friends and relatives..

It's a good system and it does work.

5. parapher

parapher MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2012
    If this method indeed works, maybe you wouldn't mind writing a small tutorial so others can also try it for themselves? Thanks :)

6. harrismail

harrismail MDL Member

Mar 28, 2010
  7. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #7 Shenj, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
    You don't ever need to use -upk when you use -ipk, the new key will overwrite the old one, -upk is only there to uninstall the key from being read from registry (unable for software to read the key from registry, as it gets removed) but it's not removing the key from your system.

To disable a Account you don't need some weird software but use "net user USERNAME /active:no" in a elevated CMD

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    That's -cpky. -upk will uninstall the key and deactivate the license that's in use.

9. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Yeah nvm mixed up, but the "overwrite" rule still applies.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. harrismail

harrismail MDL Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Yes I know but you get the picture of what I'm trying to do! Windows 8 Manager has a heck of a lot of other tweaks I like too but hey it's a personal thing :rolleyes:

PS I edited my previous post for your pleasure..