win 8 core

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by korn2008, Dec 4, 2012.

1. korn2008

korn2008 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    I have installed win 8 core, how can i convert it to win 8 pro? I don't want to format my hd, thx in advance.

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    why have you installed Core and not pro from the beginning? As all versions were available since being released, everyone had the choice to take the maximum version by using the appropriate key during installation. Sorry, but afaik, a clean new install is needed.

3. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Windows Anytime Upgrade, type in a Pro key.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. korn2008

korn2008 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    how to do it? where can i find this option?

5. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    #5 Flipp3r, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Yes you can. You can perform an "anytime upgrade". You need a proper Pro key, not the Media Center Upgrade key.
    Most notebooks seem to be shipping with core edition. My MSI shipped with Core, I boot into WinPE from my usb key & used dism to change edition on the recovery install.wim
    Code:
    md d:\x
    dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:E:\RecoveryImage\install.wim /Index:1 /MountDir:d:\x
    dism /Image:d:\x /Set-Edition:"Professional"
    dism /Image:d:\x /Set-ProductKey:Your product key here
    dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:d:\x\ /commit
    rd /s /q d:\x
    If you then format the OS partition and reboot, the notebook will auto boot into recovery & you can perform a reset to restore the Pro edition you just updated! This worked for me & my MSI notebook.

@PaulDesmond, M8, take a chill pill. You seem to jump on people with every post!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #6 Shenj, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    It's a good solution if you Upgrade to Pro and want your recovery image also to be Pro.