win 8 install

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by bencasina, Jan 7, 2013.

1. bencasina

bencasina MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    i have installed windows 8 pro (£14.99) upgrade on a partition on my win7 pc, can i use the same win8 install on another pc with same key? Will it activate or am i allowed the key on only one pc? thank you.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Written limitation are may differs from Reality! That said, there for sure some ways to use your legit key on an different machine, even some are legal. May you've to use a manual activation, which means a call to MS is on order for to get activated. Not to difficult at all!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    Yes,you can use it over and over on any machine you choose,the only drawback,if at all, is that it shows the date of when you activated the first machine(PC)

4. quaffle

quaffle MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2013
    You can have both machines activated at the same time on the same key?

5. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    yes,i don't know if on the same network( like if two machines share the same internet connection,i have not tested that)but yes,same keys used on multiple machines

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You could also use them on the same network! if you do a close check, you'll see that there 2 parameters which are different all times:
    1. Mac Address
    2. Product ID
    As long as those are different, the machines will working.

I didn't had "play" with the data.dat files, but maybe if use the same data.dat file on the same network, that may triggers problems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I don't want to change the direction of this topic, but I have one similar question:
    On the same PC , I have 4 HDD I used to play with different OS'es , by switching the HDD.
    May I install my official $40 upgrade offer on different Hard Disks without problem ?
    Does the "Product ID" will be the same if the only difference is the size and brand of HDD on the PC I made.??
    If yes what is the best way to activate without messing with "data.dat" ?
    Fresh install then the registry trick , or better option ?
    Thanks

8. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    if you have a $40 dollar upgrade,why would you have to activate? Can you please elaborate on your question? you want to keep pirated /activated copies of win8 while at the same time maintain the $40 dollar upgraded win 8 activated? :confused:

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You could just install Windows 8 on an own HDD. But: don't use any Boot Manager other than the BIOS Boot Manager! While installing Windows 8 , have all other HDD's disconnected (Data- or Powercable removed) install Windows 8 and use your Upgrade Key when asked on the end of installation. Use a RTM ISO for installation and NOT an Upgrade ISO! The Upgrade ISO will ask on the beginning for the Key and than for installed old OS, which you may didn't have. The RTM ISO will install and just on the end of installation ask for the Product Key. After the install is done, reconnect the other HDD's and use the BIOS Boot Manager for to chose from what HDD you like to start, that will mainly one of the F-Keys like:
    • F11 most of the MB's
    • F2 a very few MB's
    • F8 Asus MB's
    • F12 Gigabyte MB's
    In Bios I would suggest to set that HDD with most used OS as default Boot HDD. If your MB has an UEFI BIOS and you install Windows 8 in UEFI Mode, you've to chose UEFI Boot at start of the computer and Windows 8 will directly start.

Any more questions? Please ask.

10. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Thanks for reply. :)
    This the way I will go. My Mobo is not UEFI (Gigabyte Z68).
    The purpose is NOT to use the same Windows 8 Key at same time, but use my own Windows activated on the same PC , same Hardware but separate hard disk.
    I play with different software and like to have the cleanest Windows as possible.
    I have no problem to add or switch hard Disks. I have made myself a sophisticated electronic board on a printed circuit into a 3,5 inches case with 4 switches and led and can this way "Hot plug" HDD without moving them physically.
    I have to reboot just when I want to change from an OS to an other.