Win 8 Pro upgrade to test Win 10 Preview and then back to 8 to receive free W10 ?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by digitalbear, Jul 10, 2015.

1. digitalbear

digitalbear MDL Member

Oct 23, 2012
    My Apologies if the is question have been asked before.

Bought Win8.1 Pro, but want to test W10 Preview to see if my laptop will work with it.

Now to get the free upgrade to W10 must I go back to W8 to receive free W10 on RTM day ?

Already registered as Insider with the "Get windows 10" icon apprearing.

2. pauldamo

pauldamo MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
  3. digitalbear

digitalbear MDL Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Thank you, not sure I'm following you.

Will I receive the W10 RTM directly from W10 TP ?

4. pauldamo

Aug 3, 2009
    i can't see why you cannot understand it, yes,you will be getting the upgrade and it will be activated.

5. digitalbear

digitalbear MDL Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Apologies English is not my native tongue, so I just made sure before going ahead.

6. robE

robE MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2011
    But how? I mean, if you install now windows 10 through windows update from a legit win 7/8.1 then windows 10 installs with a generic key, not with your win 7/8.1 key so how it will stay activated if it doesn't have your key? And at this moment, to opt out of insider builds you must rollback to win 7/8.1. I still think that if you want to upgrade your 7/8.1 key you need to upgrade to the final version of windows 10 on 29 july.

7. digitalbear

digitalbear MDL Member

Oct 23, 2012
    OK maybe we should vote what RTM path will work or not ? o_O

8. pauldamo

Aug 3, 2009
    all i can say is you can do it your way,i'm going do it the way microsoft said i could,your machine is registered on their servers,i'm sure they know if your genuine or not.

9. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    #10 Don, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
    I think we were saying the same thing. You must stay an insider to get activated but if you opt out and then try to upgrade the normal rules apply.

"I want to opt out of the Windows Insider Program on 7/29." If you decide to opt-out of the program and upgrade to the 7/29 build you will be subject to exactly the same terms and conditions that govern the offer* that was extended to all Genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 customers. This is not a path to attain a license for Windows XP or Windows Vista systems. If your system upgraded from a Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license it will remain activated, but if not, you will be required to roll back to your previous OS version or acquire a new Windows 10 license. If you do not roll back or acquire a new license the build will eventually expire."

The bolded part concerns me though..is it still test software with all the data gathering crap that is in it now? Secondly it says you will remain activated but forever you will be using timebombed builds...for me at least I plan to opt-out and get upgraded like everybody else.

"I want to continue as a Windows Insider!" If you want to continue as a Windows Insider past 7/29 there is nothing you need to do. You're already opted in and receiving builds in the Fast or Slow ring depending upon your selection. This is prerelease software and is activated with a prerelease key. Each individual build will expire after a time, but you'll continue to receive new builds so by the time an older prerelease build expires you'll have received a new one. Since we're continuing the Windows Insider Program you'll be able to continue receiving builds and those builds will continue to be activated under the terms of the Windows Insider Program. We provide ISOs for these builds for recovery from any significant problems, but they are still pre-release software. As part of the program we'll upgrade Insiders to what is for all intents and purposes the same build as what other customers will get on 7/29, but that will be just another build for Insiders, and those who stay in the program will simply get the next build after as well."

10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    This has me alittle confused as well, I was going to upgrade on 29th over 8.1 Pro normal on one partition, then on another a was going to stay insider to test builds, think maybe around the 22 Jul I will opt out of Insider program again ( have opted out in past, only to rejoin to test new build) to make sure my upgrade is valid and stays genuine,
    does this sound right.:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. digitalbear

digitalbear MDL Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Microsoft certainly has confused us all :eek:

12. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    haha..I have done the same and I opted out again today on the msa that I use primarily on my pcs but I am also in the insiders program with another msa (you can join multiple times with multiple msas) and will stay on that one but only use it in VM guests.

13. HpBaxxter

HpBaxxter MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    will windows 10 insiders get windows 10 free forever or just as windows 7/8/8.1 users for one year ?

14. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Everybody gets it free forever (the life of the pc anyway)..the one year comes in with getting the upgrade, you only have one year to upgrade for free.

15. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    As of now yes, but you have to upgrade to each new build they offer or your timebombed:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. HpBaxxter

HpBaxxter MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    I have 3 Pc's with 8.1 Pro, I don't want to download the windows 10 upgrade 3 times, will it be an ISO file, or what should I do ?

17. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    of course there will be isos for all versions either published by MS directly or by myself :D

18. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  19. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009