Win 8 RP Program compatibility?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by luke, Jun 10, 2012.

1. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    I'm thinking of using the RP for my daily PC but i would like to know how the compatibility is for programs like Photoshop and 3DS Max? Is any one having problems with compatibility ?

2. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    I can't think of anything I've had any problem with yet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    i mite swap to it then the only thing i'm waiting for is RSTe raid drivers for x79 from intel.

4. goritsaman

goritsaman MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2011
    No problems with any software at the moment

5. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    I ended up going back to windows 7 after Origin was locking up windows 8.

6. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Some utilities like Perfectdisk only partially work (works in Windows, boot time defrag doesn't). This is a known compatibility issue.

Ease of configuration and navigation in Windows 8 final will mostly likely be compromised, since they are being bastards and removing the ability (supposedly) of using things like classicshell. This is purely a 'stuff you' move, they can kiss a large number of business and desktop/laptop clients goodbye because functionality has been crippled with the new UI. I must admit the standard start menu by the time you install all the programs you want gets awfully choked (separate folders for programs that just have one item listed etc), which is no doubt the reason why Microsoft are removing it. I believe instead they should have used a program categorisation system, whereby if a program is stated as an 'office' type program (for example, Adobe Reader, Office etc), then its put under the 'Office Applications' folder. If the program is a utility, under the 'utilities' folder. Same goes for media programs etc. Programs should only be allowed one icon per program.

This way, you can still access them via the start menu if you so wish, but if you want to use the Metro interface, have these program categories as tiles. You have to admit, the current tile categories thing is quite useless, and most people probably won't be bothered using them. If they do want to use the OS as a 'toy', they could click on the, say 'Gadgets' tile which brings up the useless categories that current exist. By utilising this system, you have the best of both worlds, and won't sh*t people off.

7. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Yer i know they would have to release a business version with out the crap start menu i cant see it being used.