Win boot manager error or hard disk problem ?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by randomboy, May 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. randomboy

randomboy MDL Junior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    I have two seagate 500 Gb hard disks on Intel DP55WB motherboard . I have win 7 and WinXp dual boot on the two sata drives. The problem I face is that I have both OS working ok. But if I try to restart and then trying to load Win 7 it shows Windows Boot manager error (0x c000000e)(boot selection device failed bcoz required device is inaccesible). I can reboot properly into Win XP. This problem does not occur if I shut down the computer and start it . the windows boot partition is on the same hard disk as win7 system partition. I am unable to determine if it is a hardware or software problem. I have changed the SATA slot positions but problem remains.
    please help

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. jogaler

jogaler MDL Novice

May 10, 2010
    Well as per my knowledge it is not your harddisk problem but the problem is with your ram. Try to change ram slot clean it first and change the slot if there is any empty slot available. This error generally come when the system does not loan on your ram.

3. randomboy

Feb 10, 2010
    tried changing ram slot no effect

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. johncarry

johncarry MDL Novice

May 14, 2010
    This error can occur when the hd you pulled out had been identified as Disk 0 (we call it C:) and now it is gone. So your pc thinks the remaining disk is Disk 0, when it used to be Disk 1. Since it was expecting a Linux OS on Disk 0, when it doesn't find it, you get Error 17.

5. randomboy

Feb 10, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. I am not pulling out any HDD. This occurs only when i do a restart thru OS(post app install for ex). it does not occur if I am booting my comp afresh. Infact when it occurs all I have to do is shut down from the UPS and then start and it boots normally

6. randomboy

Feb 10, 2010
    New Information. yesterday I was using belarc advisor . In HDD it shows
    ST3500418AS [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 9VMA2WRV, rev CC38, SMART Status: Healthy
    ST3500418AS ATA Device [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 9VMA4CKH, SMART Status: Healthy
    both drives are SATA drives can this be cause of the problem

7. randomboy

Feb 10, 2010
    SOLVED. It was a bios problem. Bios update cleared up the issue. This is an issue affecting Intel P55 motherboards where SATA drive inserted in slot 5 or 6 is not recognized after warm reset.

8. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Glad its solved for you. :)