Win Home Server 2011 Price Slash! Almost Half off!

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by jiminheimer, Jul 14, 2011.

1. jiminheimer

jiminheimer MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    Just thought I would let others know. MS Slashed prices a few days ago.

I can't post any links yet but, check out Newegg $69.99 !

Poor sales due to no Drive Extender? Thoughts?

2. derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #2 derausgewanderte, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. eric121

eric121 MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    Activation

It is my understanding that DAZ loader does not work, is this correct? I have been running for weeks and really like it. There are some good add-ins that will take the place of DE coming out of Beta soon, and most people here are comfortable with RAID I would think

Is there any idea on when an activation method might appear? I really want this, might have to pony up the $60. Although I figure they still owe me a few $ for Vista

4. jiminheimer

jiminheimer MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    @ eric121

Yes RAID with this seems to be a great option I would like to use a simple RAID 5 if I decide on it. Here is another problem: The WHS 2011 dashboard backup also sucks badly: It only allows 2 TB backups! So....not only do you have to come up with your own "drive pooling" options a 3rd party back solution is needed. Isn't this a "home product"?o_O Thoughts anyone?

P.S. it is now 59.99 @ Newegg with a promo code....it is obvious people are not happy with it?

5. derausgewanderte

Jul 21, 2009
    #6 derausgewanderte, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
    I am extremely happy with it. I haven't had a problem yet after several months using it. I had constant problems with v1 (corrupted database once a month). Now, this may be hardware related as well. I upgraded to an HP Microserver and I am using Raid 1. I have not missed drive pooling a single bit to this point. The system is so stable that I am running this as MediaCenter PC as well (sans TV) with XBMC. Never had a problem to this point with backups and media streaming on 5 client PCs (XP and Win7 mix).
    btw. thank you for the Newegg hint.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jiminheimer

jiminheimer MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    #7 jiminheimer, Jul 18, 2011
    (OP)
    Thanks for the info, .....now, I haven't had any problems with v1 (I didn't get it until after PP3) so, that's maybe the reason for my "success". I have a massive video collection so, I don't want to "break it up" into 2 TB multiple drives with OFF SITE USB3 backups. What are you using to back up with? How are you backing up? Is there another backup utility like with Win 7? I'm spoiled! With v1 WHS just add a drive to the pool whenever I want ...and USB backup from time to time as I wish...very easy!

EDIT: Now $49.99 with promo code! @ Newegg..Is this another ME/Vista? What is M$ doing?

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    And what do you get in WHS that you can not get elsewhere? Maybe M$ just realized that?

sebus

8. livinginswva

livinginswva MDL Member

Sep 5, 2010
    I used the release candidate of whs2011 for about 4 months and really liked it. But because no OEM cert/key have been posted, recently switched to server 2008r2. Using Acronis True Image Home for my backups, so the only thing I really lost was my personal domain name and web access. Also, this os seems faster and more responsive. I'm not sure if I'll switch back or not when OEM activation is available.

9. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    #10 FreeStyler, Jul 18, 2011
    Are you sure? haven't use WHS (v1) for anything else but testing in Vbox, but i am still able to access a website on another server trough my homeserver.com domainname,
    Same for the godaddy ssl certificate issued by the homeserver... simply export and import it on the other server, i use it for secure SSL Remote Desktop connections

10. derausgewanderte

Jul 21, 2009
    #11 derausgewanderte, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
    you probably have much more data than I have and would need the larger capacity. I am running 2x2Tb and 2x1Tb in Raid 1 with another OS drive in the top bay. The OS drive is backed up automatically every night just like the clients via WHS11. I am using an external drive for the OS partition backup. The 3Tb plus the extra on the OS drive second partition is large enough for my needs at the moment. I might replace the 2x1Tb with 2x2Tb in the future. Once the 3Tb get cheaper that's another story. Since the 3Tb are mirrored I do not need an external backup source. In addition my Music, Pictures and Videos are synced to the server via SyncBackSE. I am very satisfied at this point. of course your mileage may vary....
    pretty neat to run the WP7 app "My Server" and connect to your media on the phone or control XBMC from the phone to play media over the entertainment center all coming from WHS11.

11. jiminheimer

jiminheimer MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    By all means, we all have different needs but, please let me know what else there is that does what WHS does as easily ,backs all my PCs, works with my TV card, and lets me run Windows programs on top of that.. ex. Audiogalaxy, Air Video for (iOS), Splashtop Remote (for Android),Gmote (for Android).... UnRAID? Unbuntu Server? Amahi? Not doubting you, just asking.

12. jiminheimer

jiminheimer MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    Thanks for the info, XBMC is one of my favorites! Best most versatile "media center" out there today! I have it on all of my desktops throughout the house.

13. derausgewanderte

Jul 21, 2009
  14. livinginswva

livinginswva MDL Member

Sep 5, 2010
    I'm a novice when it comes to websites and web design. I'm not sure how to proceed with this. One possible problem is that the harddrive that had my whs 2011 installation has been formatted and the 2008 r2 system installed, so I may be out of luck on the certificate. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.