Win Server 2008 R2 + Win7 Dualboot?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by DJAdmiral, Jul 29, 2010.

1. DJAdmiral

DJAdmiral MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2010
    Hi, I've been lurking on MDL for ages, finally decided to make an account. I hope I've posted this in the right thread. If I've made a mistake, my apologies.

Okay, here's my setup:
    --160 GB HDD connected to first SATA port
    --500 GB HDD connected to second SATA port

First, I had XP Professional installed on the 160, then I installed 7 Ultimate x64 on the 500, then I decided to switch to 7 and I formatted and deleted the XP partition on the 160, which now consists solely of Free Space.
    On 7, I use Daz' loader (which works great, successfully, and always without a hitch). I'm running an Intel motherboard, DG31PR, so I'm uncertain if a BIOS mod is possible, but I'd like to avoid it if I can. Seeing as Intel wasn't in the SLIC list (not to my knowledge, anyway) I just picked an Alienware SLIC, Certificate, and Serial. All default options, loader version 1.9.

Now, what I want to do is install Server 2008 R2 onto the 160 GB HDD. I'm aware Daz' loader can activate it with a Dell certificate and serial, but here's what I'm curious about:

Do I just install Server 2008 R2 onto the 160 and use Daz' loader on it? Will it affect my current boot setup? Do I need to run any special options? Will I be able to boot into 7 normally, and will it retain genuine status? Do I need to rerun Daz' loader on that and configure it with Dell SLIC, certificate and serial instead?

Thanks for the help!

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Just use the Intel tools to add SLIC 2.1, job done, no need for any discussion

sebus

3. DJAdmiral

DJAdmiral MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2010
    If you would be so kind as to guide me in the right direction to these Intel tools?

Also, I did mention that I would preferably like to avoid a BIOS mod, if possible. If a BIOS mod is the only way to accomplish this, then I will consider it. If not, I would like to cleanly obtain a dualboot setup of both 7 and Server 2008 R2 on separate HDDs as I've specified above with software loaders only. Is there such a way, or can I have only one operating system running as genuine at a time?

Thank you for your time!

4. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I'd try the DUAL BOOT with DAZ......... interested to see if it will DUAL BOOT..(IMHO) if the Patch crack or hack will not DUAL BOOT then its not worth using.
    WHY? well I dual boot on more than 1 system... I do not use DAZ but interesting to see... please post back with your SUCCESS or failure...

5. DJAdmiral

DJAdmiral MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2010
    I'm not entirely sure if that was condescension, but thanks for the link. I tried googling for these Intel tools and found multiple results of multiple versions of multiple programs all happened to be named the same thing. So I thought I'd ask and know which one for certain, but I still don't get why I perceive rudeness when I've been polite all this time.

Nevertheless, thanks for your time and the link.

PS: I'm not sure if these Intel tools you've linked me to would be compatible with my DG31PR Intel board which doesn't support EFI, but the thread you've specified seems to work on EFI.