Win Starter and programs

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Wlcul8r, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Wlcul8r

Wlcul8r MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2010
    I purchased a netbook and it has Windows 7 Starter installed. I will use it for checking emails and intertainment when traveling. When I try to load any small game ( under 200 megs (Freecell)) a black screen comes up for a half second and back to nothing. Is this normal for all programs or only the ones I have been trying to install? Do I need to upgrade to another Windows 7 version? o_O

2. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    I have Win7 starter on several virtual computers, and have not seen any problems installing software on it (including Office 2007/Office 2010).

If you want, I can test it on one of my VMs, if it is a "free" game or a link I can download from without having to pay or get an account.

3. Wlcul8r

Wlcul8r MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2010
    Thanks myken for the reply. I am not sure what a virtual computer is. I have not tryed installing a Microsoft program. The free games I like are from wendysforum.net. The games come with a install program and just does not install on the netbook. I have no problem installing on my XP desktop. I am copy and paste the game from a SD card into a file on my netbook. Is that the problem? I was suprised that it would play AVI format movies without adding CODECS. The frecell program is small. PM me and I could send it to you.

4. sammey19

sammey19 MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2010
    Thank you very much!

5. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Try rightclicking the installer->run as administrator.

Or rightclick->properties-> compatibility mode->XP.

6. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
    When did Windows 7 STARTER have XP Mode?? You have to use Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise if you want to use XP Mode. And XP Mode is not a good options for games.

7. Wlcul8r

Wlcul8r MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2010
    This Win 7 Starter does have XP Mode. I have tryed this. I have tryed all the above. Every time I try to install I get a black screen for about a half second then back to before. I am trying to import files from a sd card or usb thumb drive from my desktop. I have transfered the same files into another Win 7 desktop and programs run. I need a cat 5 cable then maybe I can download directly into the netbook. Thanks for the help. I also need five post to PM.

8. Wlcul8r

Wlcul8r MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2010
    I seem to have solved my problem. For some reason the files were corrupt from my SD card. I am now putting then on my USB thumb drive and the proghams load fine on my netbook. Thanks for all the help.

9. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
    Good you solved the problem, but you can not have Windows 7 Starter and using XP Mode. Maybe if you you VMLite, but not Microsoft Virtual PC. Or do you run something like a hack or something, I have not seen a hack that can run MS virtual pc + XP Mode on Starter, Home Basic og Home Premium.

10. Wlcul8r

Wlcul8r MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2010
    Maybe I do not understant what XP Mode is. It will run a compatability test, if the program does not run, then give a option of running it in XP mode. This is a new netbook and has not been hacked.

11. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
    Xp Mode is not XP compatibility mode, so then I understand. XP Mode is a virtual XP installation thats run with Virtual PC inside your Windows 7. And it's only available for Win7 Pro/Ultimate and Enterprise