Win XP blank screen on bootup

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by regal, Jan 4, 2010.

1. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    After I installed the last updates Windows Xp won't boot. Its an official copy. What are my options? I need to get it to boot so I can install the In 7 upgrade.

2. jbysmith

jbysmith MDL Junior Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Not much information to go on there. Starting with the obvious, are you able to boot into safe mode? If so, check your event log and the like, might be some clues in there to start with.

Just my own opinion of course; personally I'd do a fresh installation with 7 if it's something you're able to do. Back your documents and such up and start with a clean slate vs carrying a bunch of old baggage from XP over.

3. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Well I have to do a clean slate from XP anyhow but it has to start from a guinuine XP install, problem is I'm out of activations.

Is it F8 to boot into safe mode?

4. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    It won't boot to safe mode, says boot disk bad insert CD.

5. jbysmith

jbysmith MDL Junior Member

Feb 8, 2008
    F8 should get you the boot option menu yes. If it's giving you that error though, might need to repair either your bootloader or MBR. If you didn't install the recovery console onto the drive, pop the XP installer disk in and boot from that. It should give you a recovery console option. Once thats up, try fixboot and/or fixmbr. Note that this'll replace any bootloaders you may have installed afterwards from another OS.

You can add the recovery console to your boot options at a later time by popping the XP disk in once you've got it going, and run "e:\i386\winnt32 /cmdcons", replacing the drive letter of course. You might want to un-check "Time to display operating systems" under Startup and Recovery in the system properties too otherwise you'll see the boot menu every time you start the computer. (Ignore that if you're dual booting something else of course.)