Win XP usb 2 recognized as usb 1

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by ellen, Jan 7, 2011.

1. ellen

ellen MDL Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Hello,

I have a problem with Win XP, the usb 2 ports are recognized as usb 1.
    In windows 7 everthing is fine, the problem only occurs in win xp.

My mainboard only has usb 2.
    Settings in de bios should also be fine.
    In device manager the Usb enhanced host controller is present.

Does anyone has an idea what the problem could be?

2. Orbiting234

Orbiting234 MDL Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Install whatever relevant chipset drivers for your motherboard (Intel, nVidia, VIA, etc) and make sure you are up to date on service packs since I don't think USB2 support was added until SP1 or SP2. Or just go to the Windows Update web page and grab whatever hardware drivers it detects for you.

XP is over 9 years old. On it's own it can't properly detect your USB ports.

3. ellen

ellen MDL Member

Jan 8, 2009
    #3 ellen, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
    (OP)
    It used to work, but I not really sure how long it doesn't work anymore since I mostly use win7.
    Sp3 + most updates are installed.

When I just tried to reinstall the chipset drivers, I get "cann't install ICH10 family Usb universal host controller".

4. Anteaus

Anteaus MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2011
    XP should work OK on ICH10 boards, but it does need the right chipset drivers. In particular, some devices won't work correctly if the SMBus driver isn't present.

BTW I don't advise allowing Windows Update to install drivers, it often gets it badly wrong. Instead go to the manufacturer's support page (or Intel) and get the right drivers for the board.

5. ellen

ellen MDL Member

Jan 8, 2009
    The chipset drivers are from MSI, but for some reason they won't reinstall ICH10 family Usb universal host controller.

6. In©ž

In©ž MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    may some oftopic, why wont xp work fast on dualboot in new pc ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...