Win XP - WGA reactivated and keeps downloading same 3 updates over and over and over

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Yohoho, May 22, 2012.

1. Yohoho

Yohoho MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2010
    Last night MS activated Windows Genuine Advantage on my 3 computers that have been happily computing along for a couple of years now. It happened after I did an update for WGA. These three updates KB2518864, KB2572073, KB2633880 were included in the update. No mention of WGA in the descriptions, so it may just be because of some conflicting code that accidentally activated WGA.

What is the cure for WGA these days?

Any idea what I can do about the same 3 updates installing over and over on all three computers?

Thanks

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Activate them via oem:slp method ~ just read the stickies :)

3. Yohoho

Yohoho MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2010
    I have old P4 machines here. I am also not so great at this stuff so thanks for your help Tito. I have been reading in the archives here since you pointed me to them.

Is it best to change my install to volume licencing via this link, this website, /how-to-change-windows-xp-version-between-retail-oem-and-volume-license-channel/ , and down the page to "How to Change the Distribution Channel Version of Existing Windows XP Installation"? I am not sure what type of licencing I have right now. But I guess it is not volume if WGA is active. Basically it wants me to burn a Disk with Volume licensed windows and do a repair of the existing install. It seems pretty simple if that is all I would have to do. I guess I could just update windows then and maybe everything will be fine?

I am wondering about this update that keeps prompting me to install it again. Maybe it would be best to get this first part done and attack the updates as a separate issue after the licencing is changed?

4. Yohoho

Yohoho MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2010
    OK I think I found the right area now. Ignore what I wrote above. I guess what I really want is an OEM version of XP.

So, I am here now - forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/26911-The-Windows-XP-Repository

I ran the oem bios test tool for Win XP and came up with. C & C Inc OEMBIOS.CAT CRC32=8B2EBECB . This OEMBIOS set(s) should preactivate winXP on this system.

Not sure what this means? Is it saying that my XP is an OEM version? How can I check to see if my XP is oem or volume or whatever?

5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Best just to tattoo the boards and use a known set. You can do a repair install if you like, or try this outright.just use the tattoo disc and the oembios changer. The OEMBIOS crc you have is likely because of intel processor...may or may not work. Use the HP set and tattoo to be sure.See the stickies in this section

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Yohoho

Yohoho MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2010
    Well I am stymied. I can not find the OEMBIOS Changer Tool anywhere. The link in the article is no good and several other links I came across in Google turned out to be dead also. It looks like that tool is no longer available. It would be nice if someone had it and would make it available to me.

I am not even sure what it does. I guess it will insert the string from the C&C bios info above into my bios? And it will change my installed operating system to OEM from Volume, which is what it appears to be now. I got a product key explorer app and found the keys for my three machines and it seems they are all volume keys. They do not have the letters OEM anywhere in the key.

I guess if I can't do this I will move to "Mission 5.3: Alternate Method: Using AntiWAT" .

Hope some one can help me out with some more info here. I have now spent the whole day on this. Oh well I learned a few things, on some outdated software. :) Good outdated software though.

Thanks

Johnnie

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Updated links for the changer..there is no longer an executable in the folder..just batch files and folders, as such there is a list of oem serials in the text file.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...