Win10 Activation Dilemma!?!?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by StanHere, Dec 28, 2015.

1. StanHere

StanHere MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2009
    Hi There, Windows 10 has me stumped ..............

Background:
    1) Have previously upgraded & dumped a "Win7_64 Ult [SlicBios] into Win10_64 Pro" and achieved successful online activation.

2) Following 1) & starting with a 'fresh' {OFFLINE} install of W10_64 Pro, whereby I tweaked & added a successive number of programs etc to create a series of ever-larger, incremental, un-activated backup images.

3) Overall, I ended up with total of a chain-of-eight, un-activated images, all created on \ from the same machine & unaltered hardware ...throughout 1) & 2) above. [My method towards building a final, 'Dream OS' that can be back-stepped & repaired.]

Dilemma:
    Though I can now delete & restore any of the 1st six images [on the same computer] and repeatedly achieve near-instantaneous online activation, my latest two, more complete backups; #7 & #8 will NOT activate.

Tried & Failed:
    Have twice tried in-vain to back-door an activation solution for images #7 & #8, to wit; Used 'gatherosstate.exe' on my 6th backup image AFTER its online activation to create a {clean/good?} 'GenuineTicket.xml' file.

Then after restoring to my 7th or 8th image, I copied over this 'special' XML file to the correct ....... Clipsvc\GenuineTicket directory, AFTER first stopping Windows 10 "clip service". Thereafter, I rebooted [which re-started clipservice] and connected to the internet. Voila!!!!!!, but NO activation success!

HELP Please:
    It may well be that I briefly went online during a net-framework or new program install after my 6th & before my 7th backup image.

In any event, does anyone know of a viable work-around to activate my final two (7th or 8th) backups?

Thanks-for-Listening & Happy New Year,
    stanhere

2. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Stop the clipservice copy the token.dat from activated images to the unactivated ones, start clipservice.

3. StanHere

StanHere MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2009
    #3 StanHere, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    (OP)
    Gee Whizzzzzzzzzzzzz T-S, You are F A S T !! :eek:

For clarification: Do you mean ....forget generating a "good" *.xml ticket by running 'gatherosstate' on the "[in my case] online 'activated' 6th OS image" etc .

Instead, copy over an apparently newly created "token.dat" {!activated!} file from the 6th activated OS with clipservice STOPPED at both source & destination?

Thanks for your essential help!!!!!!! :worthy:

4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

If the images are from the same OS version and used on the same machine the token.dat from an activated version must activate any other image present on that machine, it contains everything needed, so yes, you should be able to activate an unactivated image (or a fresh install) w/o any further step

I don't know what you mean as both source and destination.

Source is the activated image, destination is the unactivated one. One file to overwrite.

5. StanHere

StanHere MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2009
    #5 StanHere, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    (OP)
    as quoted from above; "If the images are from the same OS version and used on the same machine the token.dat from an activated version must activate any other image present on that machine, it contains everything needed, so yes, you should be able to activate an unactivated image (or a fresh install) w/o any further step.

Oh, Oh! Am I doing something wrong? Have twice tried copying a successfully, "online activated" W10 (5th) image's "Tokens.dat' file, with "Clipsvc" service stopped! Moved this confirmed, activated Tokens.dat copy to my G:\ drive and then did a restore from a 6th (seemingly non-activateable OS) image.

After booting the 6th image; also W10_64 Pro, I confirmed continued non-connection to the internet. After confirming "clipsvc" was alive & running, I again rebooted.

After this 2nd boot-up, I shut down "clipservice" via ADMIN command prompt AND confirmed same via Windows' 'Services" menu. Then I copied back & overwrote the existing, unactivated , 357kb tokens.dat file with the earlier 'activated' 375kb tokens.dat copy from my G:\ drive.

Next, I re-started clipsvc and rebooted. Then, after the reboot & clipsvc running, I connected online without being able to activate; either automatically or manually via the System Menu icon. Again I did a further reboot, re-confirmed continued online connection and reached out for activation via the System Menu. All to no avail; no activation!

Have I mis-stepped in trying to follow the "tokens.dat copy & over-write suggestion"? If so how?

Again, for clarity.......All incremental images are & were validated, non-corrupt during & after creation, all are W10_64 Pro installed \ built on exactly the same computer, MB, HD's), hardware & peripherals. All 1st six of eight total backup images-to-date remain "activatable" AFTER restoration now with connection to the internet. In fact, once allowed online, the 1st 6 OS images 'activate' almost instantly.

Thanks for your continued help.

6. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #6 xinso, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Guys isn't that the the token.dat I'm talking about.

Is the new one in program data

@xinso

I think that re injext the key is an unneeded step, given the key data (afaik) are stored on token.dat itself.

8. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    Someone who upgraded from Windows 7/8 activated with Volume key might meet with activation problem.