Win10 Activation Oddity

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Threat, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    Ok a bit of an oddity this one.

About 6 months ago I aquired an i5 laptop ... Acer Aspire. Nothing special. It has no OS and the hard drive had been wiped. I did nothing with it until the first insider preview was released for Windows 10. Since then I've had multiple Windows 10 previews on it, both from updating and fresh install from ISO.

It updated to build 10240 like all others and remained activated on Pro.

I decided to take a look at it today with a view to installing Windows 7 for the first time on it and upgrading to 10 to get permenent activation. But before I did I curiously ran slmgr /xpr and it reported that it was permenently activated.

Odd ... so I took the Win10 DVD and did a fresh install, wiping the HDD out. I chose Pro and skipped the cd key (both times).

It connected to the internet and activated ... so it's activation really is permenent.

The question I have is WHY? I didn't upgrade from Win7, and the Win7 that came with it was Home Premium so I would normally only be eligeble to upgrade to Home, not Pro like I have.

So M$ have just given me a free Pro license for this PC for running the insider previews?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Probably due to you still being registred as an Insider - had a report at TenForums of a guy getting bumped off after rolling out of Insiders - he's was downgraded to Home due to the underlying Core activation. Yours may just become deactivated.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    I can't see how thats the case as it does not fit my defenition of permenent.

In addition, since the reinstall I'm not even using a Microsoft Account - so this is not an 'insider' PC.

4. bulldog147

bulldog147 MDL Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Mine was activated permenent. And didn't use insider program or microsoft account.

5. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    It fits their's though. If you quit insiders and you were activated with a non-conforming OS you will be deactivated...of course that won't happen if you never connect to the internet :)

6. GezoeSloog

GezoeSloog MDL Addicted

Feb 10, 2012
    This is a gift for your fat MSDN subscription. They are watching you :doofywave:

7. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    #7 Threat, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    (OP)
    As far as I am aware the insider program is linked to the MSA ... this PC is not using an MSA.

In addition, I've not seen it stated anywhere that people who stay in the insider program get free licence, just that the upgrade remain activated if already installed. This is a non MSA PC that has a permanent "upgrade" licence without having gone through the previous activated OS route...

8. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Was it when it activated? If not then no problem.

9. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    Since I wiped it I set it up with a local account, not an MSA. So it would have no way to know if I was still an insider or not.

10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  11. vipanonymous

vipanonymous MDL Senior Member

Apr 3, 2014

I think i'll try that out. But what does the Insider registration have to do with Insider Builds. I mean, if i stay registered but opted out the program in my PC. What M$ could take from me that will justify my status as an 'insider', since i'm fully activated and not accepting their builds... :g: Can't wait for the "D" day. So many questions, and almost no answers.

12. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
  13. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    The initial install was Win10 Preview

The version I've used is the WZor leak.

At no point have I had a previous OS on, qualifying or not.

14. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Sure it would, you opt out from the internet, not from the PC itself.

15. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    If you ever installed preview with a key, that's how your hardware got on their servers.

16. vipanonymous

vipanonymous MDL Senior Member

Apr 3, 2014

So you are saying that opting out from the WU means nothing? Even connected to the internet. :g:

17. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    during insider, it got your HWID, it knows that system. It is activating with the HWID now, it matches previously used system with what you are activating now. Says ok this is familiar, with no need for MSA signed in for it to see a familiar system is trying to activate.

18. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    They time bomb people who do not play by rules:D

19. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    I understand how they got my HWID, but that should not (I believe) give me permanant activation.

My understanding was if you wipe PC's that were activated and updated to RTM, then you lose the activation and have to install the Win7 and upgrade at least once to make it permement.

But that seems not the case here?