Win10 Desktop and start menu program icon restore?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by tpir72, Oct 13, 2018.

1. tpir72

tpir72 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2008
    Hi,
    I had Bitdefender 2018 installed on my laptop, The program wanted to update itself to 2019 so I let it. After it restarted I watched 3/4's of my desktop program shortcuts and start menu links disappear.

Is there a 3rd party utility that will scan the program folders and allow me to select which start menu and desktop icon I want restored?

The programs are all still installed all the links to them vanished. It is a real pain going to C:/Programs Files or C:/Program Files (x86) every time I want to run a program.

Thank you very much for the help.

Regards,

Terry

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Addicted

Nov 26, 2012
    Does it means that also these folders are empty?
    Code:
    %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    If not, copy links to desktop.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Thomas Dubreuil

Thomas Dubreuil MDL Junior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    If all your shortcuts were wiped from the paths indicated by @kaljukass, you could add 'pint to start' to your context menu to make "recovery" process faster.
    Save this in a text editor as .reg, then open/merge.

This one to add 'pin to start' for every kind of files/folders:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\PinToStartScreen]
    @="{470C0EBD-5D73-4d58-9CED-E91E22E23282}"
    Or this modified version, if you want 'pin to start' only for folders and .exe
    Code:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\PintoStartScreen]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\PintoStartScreen]
    I put this here also, it may help others:
    If 'pin to start' is broken (you can't pin items from start menu), which happens for example after you used "Start layout" gpo to force start menu layout, you can merge this:
    Code:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoChangeStartMenu"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoChangeStartMenu"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer]
    "LockedStartLayout"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer]
    "LockedStartLayout"=-

4. tpir72

tpir72 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2008
    Thank you, program references are missing in both locations yet the programs are still installed.

5. tpir72

tpir72 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2008
    Thank you very much. I saved the first Key above as PinToStartScreen.reg and when I tried to Merge received this error:

"Cannot import C:\Users\MyName\Documents\PinToStartScreen.reg: The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary files from within the registry editor."

Next I tried importing the file from within Regedit and received this warning so deleting existing entries didn't seem right so I stopped "The key will be restored on top of key: ContextMenuHandlers. All value entries and subkeys of this key will be deleted. Do you want to continues the operation?"

How do I get all the entries you mentioned added properly without automatically deleting anything existing?

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Addicted

Nov 26, 2012
    I do not know how you copied, but there are two very important things if make registry.reg files
    1. There must be one empty line between the title and the first entry;
    There must be an empty line before of each of the following keys (recomndation use copy-paste)
    2. If you save, you have to select Save as => File name => All Files (*. *) and Unicode (very important)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...