Win10 update for those with Win7/DazLoader

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pooksahib, Aug 23, 2015.

1. pooksahib

pooksahib MDL Junior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Hi. From what I've read, Win7/DazLoader users have been changing to Win10 without difficulty. I'm trying to make the change myself and here's where I'm at:

I have the necessary Windows Updates installed (KB3035583 and KB2952664).
    I've enabled the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program.
    I have the 'Get Windows 10' icon on my toolbar.
    The icon says that my upgrade has been reserved and there's nothing for me to do at the moment.

So far so good but the icon also says, under 'Check your PC', “This report isn't available at the moment”. I've tried to run the check by the elevated Command Prompt 'schtasks...' which gives the 'SUCCESS: Attempted to run...' message. However, when I then open Task Scheduler, the Appraiser is merely sitting at 'Ready' (as opposed to 'Running').

If I skip the Command Prompt method and go straight to Task Scheduler, I can run the Appraiser with a rightclick and it's status changes from Ready to Running. Looks good but then nothing else happens. I've left it 'Running' for half an hour (long enough surely?) and the Get Windows 10 icon still says “This report isn't available at the moment”.

My gut feeling is that I can wait forever but my PC will never migrate to Win10. May I ask how other Win7/DazLoader users managed to make the change? And can anyone suggest what I may try next to get things moving?

I'd rather get it done via the Update route. I tried the 'Media Creation Tool' which downloaded the Win 10 files but then the installation screen just disappeared and nothing happended...

My thanks in advance for any useful info.

2. AzTec

AzTec MDL Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Have a look in your BT Folder under C drive, Hidden Folder enabled, if there burn iso off and install, or take install,wim out of sources folder and convert to iso with esd-decrypter and burn iso, use generic key to install

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TrustMe

TrustMe MDL Member

May 2, 2013
    I have not upgraded using DazLoader but I do use the Windows 10 RTM to upgrade. Just start the upgrade form the desktop and choose to keep everything. I have upgraded 3 computers so far with no problems. Give it a try and see if it works for you.
    You computer has to be activated before you can do a clean install. When I clean installed mine, I used a generic product to get the the right version of Windows to install. Afterword all 3 computers activated just fine.

4. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Download a clean Win7 iso - no cracks, no preactivation.
    Download Daz loader. :worthy:
    Download Win10 iso from M$.
    Do a clean install of Win 7. Activate using DAZ loader. Don't bother installing drivers or updates.
    Upgrade Win7 to Win10 using the Win10 iso (burn to DVD or USB). Don't enter any key for Win10 - it will activate on its own.
    Now, if you like, you can format and do a clean install of Win10 using the Win10 iso. Don't enter any key for Win10 - it will activate on its own.

5. eemuler

Jul 31, 2015
    Note: this is with legacy boot and MBR partitions. If you want to switch to UEFI boot and GPT partitions, you can do so at the last step mentioned above. Just change the boot setting in the BIOS, delete all the existing partitions and let Windows 10 setup create the GPT partitions for you.

6. pooksahib

Aug 11, 2009
    Thanks for all the replies, guys, I appreciate it. Working down the thread:

I've unhidden my files and I do not have a BT folder. (Nor a $Windows folder.)

TrustMe said: “When I clean installed mine, I used a generic product to get the the right version of Windows to install”. What does 'I used a generic product' mean?

cetipabo2 said: “open cmd as administrator and type wuauclt /detectnow (updatenow)”. What happens next? The command screen accepted the commands but said nothing.

Thanks again to all.

7. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Just download a DVD of Windows 10 and use it to upgrade.

8. cetipabo2

cetipabo2 MDL Member

Feb 8, 2015
    if you go to your Windows update, don't you see it downloading the update ?

9. eemuler

Jul 31, 2015
    You'll need the DVD/USB if you want to make a clean install later, after you've upgraded and activated once.

10. TrustMe

TrustMe MDL Member

May 2, 2013
    Sorry, what I meant to say, I used a generic product KEY to get the right version of Windows to install.
    Just google windows 10 generic product keys.

11. manix

manix MDL Junior Member

Aug 18, 2012
    This is pointless, if you install some of the earlier preview builds and upgrade to the RTM you should get a hardware key also, and it's not tied to the Insider status so you should be able to do a clean install afterwards.

12. windows.seven

windows.seven MDL Member

Sep 14, 2011
    This is the best and cleanest way, have tried it successfully. You can also download the ESD from this site and directly upgrade your existing Win7 and then Reset it. THis also works, have tried it too. Forget about the downloaded update, just download the ESD, decrypt it to ISO, load on any virtual drive and upgrade.

13. pooksahib

Aug 11, 2009
    Thanks again for your interest.

cetipabo2 said: “if you go to your Windows update, don't you see it downloading the update?” WU says “Windows 10 upgrade reserved. We'll let you when the upgrade is ready to be installed on this PC,” The 'wuauclt' commands have no effect – I've tried them with '.exe' after 'wuauclt' as well.

windows.seven said: “You can also download the ESD from this site and directly upgrade your existing Win7 and then Reset it.” Is the Electronic Software Download just another way of saying Media Creation Tool? What does Resetting involve and what does it achieve?

Thinking back, when my Get Windows 10 icon first appeared, I read some warnings about not upgrading immediately – leave it a while until the bugs are fixed. So I uninstalled the Update that generated the GWX icon and deleted the $Windows file. I can only imagine that has something to do with the fact that, having since reinstalled GWX (people seem to like their new W10..), nothing is actually working – no $Windows file and unable to activate the Compatibility Appraiser.

14. BobSheep

BobSheep MDL Guru

Apr 19, 2010
    You should install all W7 drivers before the upgrade. I've had one occasion when after the W10 drivers were installed enough of the hardware seemed different enough to generate a different hardware hash such that W10 would not activate.

15. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    As the OP, is still asking about GWX his clearly not a Computer Guru/Expert or a Tin Hat Wearing Privacy advocate so doing a 'PC Reset' should be enough to fix any issues that may occur. ;)

Sorry mate but that's FUD, the only possible way a driver could change the HWID of a Device is if it contains some sort of 'Modified' firmware. In which case your either doing it for a particular reason or you've got a bigger problem than Windows not activating. :eek:

16. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    #19 Bezalel, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    It is possible for a device not to be seen at all because a bus driver is missing, or not to be counted for activation because its class is unknown.

In the real world it's unlikely to be an issue because the HW used for activation is important enough that it's unlikely to activate without at least working class drivers

17. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...