Win7 - 64bit - HP Laptop Programs not launching. Also get Explorer.exe error

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by shankarhokie, Feb 6, 2011.

1. shankarhokie

shankarhokie MDL Junior Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Hello,

I am running Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, build 7600. I installed it on my HP G60 230US, using the SLIC toolkit and modified the SLIC table. All was well till 3 days ago. Suddenly, I am unable to open any applications including Firefox etc. The only application I can open is Comodo. If I right click on the desktop and hit "Personalize" I get an error message "Server Execution failed"

I am afraid that either I picked up a virus or that Comodo removed some system files by error. Since I cannot launch any programs, I cannot run any spyware checks / virus checks ... other than Comodo / windows defender. They did not pick any issues.

I have tried many methods described on the internet including selective startup etc, to no avail.

I have done a system restore to 1/31/2011, but still no help.

I can open folders, right click for properties etc, but cannot open any documents.

The only program that seems to work is Adobe Light room 3 64 bit.

I am unable to uninstall light room or any other software, becaue I cannot get pop up windows..

I am getting all windows updates without a problem. However, if I right click on "My Computer" and select "Properties" I get nothing.

At this point, I am at wit's end. I have backed up all my photos & music etc. I am hoping that I don't have to reload windows.

If I do have to reinstall, will the version that I got in early 2010 still work?

Thanks!

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    I would perform a clean install, yes build 7600 will work just fine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. shankarhokie

Feb 18, 2010

Thanks! Since I have already updated the SLIC table to 2.1, is there anything I should watch out for while installing? Should I just pop the DVD with the ISO image and let it go?

4. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    if your install disc is not modified to have the $OEM$ folder to automatically activate with the proper HP certificate, then you will need to manually do it yourself after installation. It will ask you for a product key in this case and you can just skip it to let windows finish installing.

5. shankarhokie

Feb 18, 2010
    OK.. I booted teh computer with the WIN7 DVD. It copied all the files, and expanded the windows files , and then restarted the computer and asked me to press any key to boot from CD.... and went back to step 1. This has happened 3 times... I am doing a custom (clean) install.. What am I doing wrong?

6. shankarhokie

Feb 18, 2010
    All is well now. It was just a quirk/process step. I used on the OEM keys for HP and I got an error message that the key was not valid. I downloaded Hazar loader and it found that I have SLIC 2.1 and inserted a right key. I am genuine now. Hopefull it'll all be OK form here.

7. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    you do not boot from the CD after it finishes expanding files and reboots
    your problem was, you pressed a key to boot the cd again... if you left the computer alone, it would've continued the install

8. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    the loader you are using is way out of date... daz loader is the newest thing and will automatically and CORRECTLY activate a SLIC 2.1 system, without installing itself
    I assume you tried to type in a product key when windows setup asked you for it? if you did, that is where you made your second mistake... like I said many hours ago, you do NOT put in anything when it asks you for the key, you skip it and do the manual activation once you are in windows!

9. shankarhokie

Feb 18, 2010
    I am sorry.. I used teh Daz Loader .. It read the SLIC table and laoded teh right key. Yes, I did try to enter a OEM key fro this site, but it failed. Now that I have a genuine copy, should I go back and start all over again?

10. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    if you used the daz loader then it will have used the correct key and certificate to activate based on your SLIC BIOS... the loader won't be installed on your computer at all
    entering any SLIC key when windows setup prompts you for it will fail, you must leave the box blank and skip it and then do manual activation once you are in windows like I said for the 3rd time already

11. shankarhokie

Feb 18, 2010
    I know you are trying to help, but your tone is not helping. Thanks anyways for your input.