Win7 Activated, can I disconnect from ......

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by KMcWilliams, Mar 11, 2013.

1. KMcWilliams

KMcWilliams MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2010
    Hello all,

As the title of the post says, I have Win7 registered and activated. Can I take it off the internet now ?

Our family uses Linux for our internet access, we have since the late 90's. I only have Windows installed for offline gaming.

In short, does Win7 do some sort of check on occasion to make sure that it is still activated, or will it work from now on without having to be on the internet.

I did a search, here on the forums, and google, but did not find a definitive answer.

Thanks for any constructive information.

KMcWilliams

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You could just disconnect from Internet, no problem with that. Windows 7 will keep the activation active which is different in Windows 8 now!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    so many changes over the past few years, I had to stop and think about this question

4. KMcWilliams

KMcWilliams MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2010
    Thanks guys for the responses. I thought I understood that it should not give me problems, but it is better to ask if not sure.
    Besides, i can always reconnect for a bit to re-activate if necessary, but I try to keep Windows off the internet. Not much to worry about then, I have only had 1 virus since around 95, and that was a video downloaded with a piggy back. Had my teenaged daughter scanned it first, then it would not have been an issue then.

I do game online occasionally in Windows, but my machine is so secured down, that sometimes I have to allow some services and software to run temporarily, VERY very temporarily.

But thanks for the feedback.

5. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Are you saying that Windows 8 with legit retail activation must stay connected, or else lose activation?

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    For Windows 8 Pro it checks the activation by every new start while connecting to the MS Server. That's happen to all computers with Windows 8 Pro in my Office. Some few times the activation were gone for a short time because at the same time we had problems with our Internet ISP. Was checking with NSAuditor and found that the machine were "calling" home to MS.

That's happen to Pro but Enterprise. For Core I don't know because I didn't run any. Same would apply to KMS activated machines, they will stay activated for the 180 day's cycle.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. CaptainKirk1966

Oct 31, 2009
    Sounds really fishy.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Yes, it does!

On the other hand MS is try to track down "Pirates" and I do believe that in the next generation of Windows, those will even more "fishy"! Understandable because there still a lot "users" out there who even were not willing to spend 15 or 40 bucks, they want everything for free and didn't want to honour the the work of the developer.

Using a stolen OS and complain about it goes hand in hand in many means. Even making profit and generating income with that stolen OS is quite common! And still complaining about how bad etc. that stolen OS is, is also very common!

9. CaptainKirk1966

Oct 31, 2009
    Retail, oem, and mak vl are all permanent. As long as you are doing everything legitimately, the only time you need network connectivity is the initial activation. Once activated, you can disconnect forever.

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    In windows 7 yes but Windows 8 Pro! Permanent activation for KMS activated for 180 day's, need re-activation after that which applies for both Windows 7 and Windows 8!

11. CaptainKirk1966

Oct 31, 2009
    I have no clue what you are talking about, but oem and retail channels are permanent in both win 7 and win 8.

12. Siliwangi

Siliwangi MDL Member

Aug 11, 2009
    that it only happen in KMS activation 180 days not permanent activation. it is not happen on MAK , Retail and OEM Channel activation both on 7 and 8.

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    As long as they're not KMS activated, yes.

Retail's are directly from MS under their own Licenses and fully supported! OEM under the License of of the OEM and didn't get support from MS! Enterprise version are Corporate version which are licensed from MS and also fully supported and the activation will be done via KMS Server's which has a limited activation time of 180 days, after that needs a re-activation.

The activation scheme in W8 differs quite a lot from the older Windows! There are 2 different OEM versions:
    1. OEM Manufacturer
    2. Small or Medium System Builder
    The first will have the Product Key's in the BIOS of the sold Machine and bound physically to that machine. That uses a new version of OA 3.0 and didn't has an COA Sticker wit Product Key, just an Windows 8 Logo Sticker!

The second will have an COA Sticker with the Product key printed on it and could be installed on any custom assembled computer and be bound by Law to that computer. You may could use that P-Key on other computers, but it's illegal.

I haven't read or even get my hands on the License Agreement for that OEM Versions, so I don't know it's possible to legally sell that OEM license to an other owner and therefore computer!

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  15. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    I guess it just baffles me having a computer without internet access, i associate PC with internet going hand in hand

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Problem in Thailand are the ISP's! They everything but stable!

17. KMcWilliams

KMcWilliams MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2010
    #18 KMcWilliams, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    (OP)
    My Windows 7 is completely legit.

And while I do not condone SW piracy, don't whine and cry to me about poor MS, the people that were convicted in a U. S. Federal court of collusion, conspiracy, and fraud of the PC users. through anti-trust actions with PC manufacturers and vendors.

I have NO sympathy for Bill Gates and company. None.

Oh, and BTW, I am not sure what the licensing agreements are like now, but I do know, that under the old MS licenses, XP and older, you were required to have a license for each user. Anyone that sat down to your computer, and used it, without paying for a license was a theif according to MS, and their EULA.

And if you had 5 PCs in your home, 4 people lived there, and everyone used all of the PC's, under the old License agreement, you needed 20 licenses to be completely legit.

So do not come whining about, and hijacking this thread, with the "poor old MS crap."

The above reasons were why I switched to Linux as my primary OS, for me and my family. I have also introduced literally thousands of people to Linux over the years. I do free installs. The ONLY reason that Windows 7, or any windows for that matter, is even on my PC, is because of gaming. Period !!!!

Last thought, I seem to remember MS being convicted in France just few months back, of SW piracy, for including features in Windows, that actually belonged to someone else. So if you want to cry a river for MS, please do it somewhere else, because I do not care.

To everyone else, I appreciate all of the input, and I know now that I can safely play my games offline, and occasionally online games as well, without needing to worry about the license crap.

Now if I can just figure out why Steam requires IP tunneling, I can maybe play some CLoD. :rolleyes:

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Thank you.

18. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  19. KMcWilliams

KMcWilliams MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2010
    #20 KMcWilliams, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    (OP)
    What are you trying to imply.

First, my Windows 7 is legit, why you chose to put something like that in my thread, I do not know, or care, but ,.....

I also know for a fact, that the EULA was just exactly the way that I explained it. I worked for a corporation that had an MS audit, and they explained to us, that the reason that they were going to charge us a ton of money, was because our employees sometimes used the computer that was handy, not just theirs, and because of that, we had to have a license for each user on each PC.

And the "your writing style is very similar to an banned user of MDL! " ......

So, maybe YOU had reason to ban that individual. I do not know, but I do know that you made 2 accusations, first you accused me of dishonesty, that I was not being truthful, and then you imply that I am someone that has been banned before.

I am neither, but if you are just spoiling for a fight, and trying to create a situations so that you can exercise your authority to ban me, go ahead.

You do not have to make up a reason, just be yourself. I think that you like to do as you please, insult whoever you want, and then if they respond, you find a reason, or make up a reason to ban them.

I am not going to give you a reason. The only reason you could possibly site now is that I pointed out that you were getting off topic and hijacking my thread with non-sense about poor microsoft, and my answer to your accusational attitude. which you have once again displayed.

BTW, you might want to be carefull you imply is a liar and a thief. I am sure that you would not do so face to face. I am sure of it,

So go play with your insecurities, and exercise whatever authority you think you have.

Bye bye ******* .