Win7 activation after motherboard replace

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by acforall, Sep 27, 2017.

1. acforall

acforall MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2016
    Hello there

As the title says i have this assus pc where i replaced the motherboard and the old hd with a new ssd. The motherboard is the same brand assus and the same model class.
    The original hd had win7 professional installed and i cloned the partition on the new ssd.
    Aftern the motherboard replace i get 3 day to activate and if i try with the win7 key i get the 0xC004E003 error.

Now before changing everything i saved the key with nirsoft produkey, and i have the "Windows (BIOS OEM Key)" also the win7 product key.

On the original hd i dont have anymore the installation partition, but i should still have the recovery partition.

My big question is there any way to activate with this keys kind of legally? Without using a loader. And without restoring and losing my current setup.

Ps. I made the same changes on an identical pc months ago that had upgraded to win10 and i was abble to activate using the Windows (BIOS OEM Key).

2. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    #2 CaptainKirk1966, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    For Windows 7 activation, there may be a slic table provide by bios, but there is no such thing as a "BIOS OEM key" for Windows 7. If there is a slic table provided by bios, no loader is needed, and you can use oem:slp activation by installing a proper certificate and key using the Windows slmgr command line tool. If your so called "Bios OEM key" matches one in this post, then you are indeed trying to use oem:slp which will require a slic table and matching certificate.

If you have a Windows 7 key pasted to the outside of the computer, it is most likely an oem:nonslp key. If you use this key, it would not require a slic table to activate, but it may require phone activation. (slui 4)

3. CaptainKirk1966

Oct 31, 2009
    One way to test whether you have a slic table is to run an mgadiag report, as described by Daz in this post. The purpose of the loader is to inject an emulated slic if none is provided by bios.

There is more than one type of oem key; oem:slp was the method big manufacturers used when they sent machines out the door. The coa key (usually non slp) stuck to the outside of the machine was only there if user needed to reinstall.

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Unless you buy a replacement board from the pc OEM, it won't have the SLIC table in the bios to auto-activate. Using the Daz loader will work. If you want to add an SLIC table into the bios, there is another thread for that to modify your bios
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/forums/bios-mods.25/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. acforall

acforall MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2016
    Strange though that windows 10 did activate imediately using the " " in the same situation, same identical pc and same identical replacement motherboard.
    Just for notice both original motherboards of this 2 pc suffered from the same issue, 5 usb ports out of 6 died completely, thats why the motherboad replace.

6. CaptainKirk1966

Oct 31, 2009
  7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I think that's because your using an OEM SLIC key. If you use the key (COA key) that's on a sticker on the side of your pc, you'll find that the new board will activate
    Just use the Daz Loader and be done with it

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. CaptainKirk1966

Oct 31, 2009
    He said earlier that he doesn't have a coa sticker. ( which makes this whole thing seem even stranger ... )

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Which is why the OP should just use the Daz Loader and be done with it

10. acforall

acforall MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2016
    i know daz loader is an option, i just opened this thread to see if it was possible to activate kind of legally with the keys i got with the nirsoft tool.

yes windows 10 was upgraded from win 7 and to activate that after the motherboard swap i used the "windows bios oem key" at least the nirsoft tool calles it like that. on windows 10 it worked fine.

Thanks to you all.

11. CaptainKirk1966

Oct 31, 2009
    I concur. Loader or kms, since he is running Pro edition.

Looking back, I would guess that the "Bios OEM Key" he recovered was an unused oem-dm key for Win 8.x or better, which was separate from the oem:slp Win 7 key that he also recovered.

12. acforall

acforall MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2016
    that sound reasonable since that key activated windows10 imediately

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Technically, Using Daz isn't totally illegal. It just allows you to use your oem key that you already have. The manufactures use a method like that to activate 100's if not more pc's on a daily basis

14. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    Joe C. Use DAZ tools, place your OEM key in custom in DAZ tools and it will take care of this.. I tried before.. Simple, But it perfectly Legal as you have OEM Key,
    1.) Get DAZ tool and run the program, you will see ASUS on SLIC, Certificate, KEY..

2.) Drop down "Key" section to Custom Key, Insert your OEM key. then click the TAB Installation, then Click INSTALL that will square it away.

3.) Reboot, then double check in SYSTEM and should show Activated.. Just remember your OEM KEY will be there.

ATGPUD2003

15. CaptainKirk1966

Oct 31, 2009
    #17 CaptainKirk1966, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    That may work, but is not really the primary purpose of Daz loader. Again, there is more that one type of oem key. If you have a key copied from a coa sticker, or some other oem non-slp key that you purchased, there is no need for a slic table, or a loader that injects a slic. Just use tools provided by windows (i.e slmgr) to install the key; it's very similar to using a retail key.