Win7 And Certain Older Games

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Phazor, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Problem Child: Onimusha 3

Symptom: No key-config window under Win7

Probable Cause: A missing system-component such as a DLL

Details: Onimusha 3 has an in-game menu for resolution etc. just like most other games do. There also is an option for key-config, however, the actual key-configuration isnt done via the in-game menu, but in a seperate window, which normally pops up after the game switches from fullscreen to windowed so that you can work in the key-config window.

Under Win7 (Vista ditto) this key-config window does not appear anymore. The game still switches from fullscreen to windowed as it should, but that is all. There are no error messages. The various compatibility options such as XP Mode and/or Disable Visual Themes have no effect. The problem does not appear to be driver or hardware related because it occurs on nVidia and ATi based cards alike. DirectX 9 is installed. Un-/Reinstalling the game and/or having the game rebuild the config file has no effect. The game does not store any config-related entries in the registry, user-folders, or personal folder. Windows is not 'skinned' or otherwise theme-customized. The game-disk i have does not come with any Visual C++ redists. Google was not very helpful.

Im pretty much at wits end, but i cannot play the game with the default button layout.

Thus, if you have any idea what the problem might be, please let me know.

Thanks.

PS: Sometimes i really hate Microsoft for ripping out so many components that were essential in XP. This is the second time that one of my games has such an issue, and dont get me started on the ripped out support for .hlp files...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Calistoga

Calistoga MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    My only suggestion would be to edit the config file manually, but you've probably tried that already of course :unsure:

3. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Of course.

But the config data are of course encrypted (how else could it be), which means i cant even hex-edit the file because it is impossible to tell what value in what position represents what button...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #4 Phazor, Oct 23, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
    (OP)
    BTW, i have also attempted to config the button layout in a virtual XP so i can transfer the config file over to Win7, but of course the game wont even start in a VM because of the missing 3D support.

I have also tried to remap the gamepad buttons directly via the Logitec Profiler, but that doesnt work either because this results in the buttons remaining in the 'pushed' state as soon as you push one...