Win7 installation issue

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by marcrose, Sep 15, 2009.

1. marcrose

marcrose MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2009
    #1 marcrose, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
    Whenever I try to install Win 7 (from msdna), I get errors and can not install. The error I always get is at the very last step of the Installation (at least, the very bottom one out of like...5 things listed..could be off on the numbers). The error message I get is: "The upgrade was not successful. Your previous version of Windows is being restored."

1)I have re-downloaded the ISO to make sure it wasn't corrupted.
    2)I have tried it through DVD and USB Flash
    3)I have tried it from Desktop >> click on setup.exe and also boot from DVD/USB method

A) I am currently using Windows Vista x64
    B) My computer surpasses the minimum specs I need, custom built.
    C)I want to avoid Clean Install for obvious reasons (too many apps and files).

Any suggestions would help at the moment...I've been at this for 30 hours.

***ADD
    I don't know if it matters, but I have a 3 way partition.
    C: is my Vista 64
    D: is for my XP 64 (since some apps I use are old and need XP to run)
    E: is a storage area, stores files and what not

2. silvergate

silvergate MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #2 silvergate, Sep 15, 2009
    x64 windows 7? i think you can only upgrade your vista if it has the same type.... vista Home premium x64 = win7 home premium x64.

from this moment there are no win7 home premium keys, only ultimate and professional

so your best luck right now is to do a clean installation of win7 in the vista partition.

cheers.:)

3. marcrose

marcrose MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2009
    Just to test this theory, I tried to upgrade to Ultimate 7 x64 from Ultimate Vista x64 (which is what I'm using) and still getting the same issue. I really have no idea why it does this....i really really want to avoid clean installation due to apps and files I have on the vista partition.

what are the possibilities that can be causing this?

4. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    Just wondering your Vista, is it untouched or is it unattended?

5. MCGamer

MCGamer MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2009
    #5 MCGamer, Sep 15, 2009
    Though I'm not sure if x86 and x64 differ this much, I've installed Windows 7 Ultimate x86 from XP Home x86 and from Vista Home x86.
    Good luck on installing W7. =/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. marcrose

marcrose MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2009
    I"m not sure what you mean by this but the Vista was bought by me through...I believe it was New Egg, if not, it'll be Best Buy (i'm assuming if you mean if it's pirated or bought)

7. ghoffman

ghoffman MDL Junior Member

Mar 23, 2008
    i think the isue is whether vista has been vlite-ed or something like that. the vista sp2 upgrade would only work on native vista installs. i can't remember which files were required for upgrade, but in my case some of them were removed by vlite. the same thing might be happening with win7 over vista.

8. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Did setup run the campatibility check before attempting to upgrade? There is probably something about your existing Vista installation that W7 setup can't reconcile.

There should be a log somewhere, it may be called setuperr.log that may describe what setup was doing when it failed. If you serach you may find several instances of setuperr.log so look for one that was modified at the date and time that you ran the install.

Upgrade installs are always chancy and almost always have some issues, most of those are minor but sometimes it is just better to do a fresh install, I know you do not want to do this but there are ways to make a "migration" type of installation much easier, "migration" just means a clean install and the use of easy transfer and other third party applications to migrate all of your settings and files, applications would have to be reinstalled.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. marcrose

marcrose MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2009
    Yes, the check was fine except it gave me few things, which were (not word for word):
    Some of the Vista Extras are no longer supported and will not carry over to Windows 7

The following application may not be compatible after upgrading:
    Daemon Tools
    iTunes

those are the only errors/messages I got.

As for the setuperr, I can not find it anywhere on the computer and I have used search function.

The reason why I want to avoid a clean install is because some of the applications are from my previous work place (multi-licensed for most part), which no longer exists.

10. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    #11 Dolorous Edd, Sep 15, 2009
    Setup may be choking and sputtering on old device drivers, Seven should use Vista drivers however if your drivers are old it may be causing issues.

Check for newer drivers, if you can install drivers only and not the applications that may be helpful.

If I understand you correctly it is failing towards the end of setup, that would be about the right time for a device driver to cause a problem.

EDIT: Another option would be to completely remove your existing drivers, GURU3D.net and other sites used to have utilities taht would completely remove ATI and NVIDIA drivers from a system, this would allow W7 setup to install native drivers more easily. After upgrade (if successful) you can install the latest drivers or the drivers available on Windows Update.

11. silvergate

silvergate MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009