Win7 loader causes restart loop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by m_f, Jan 20, 2010.

1. m_f

m_f MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2010
    #1 m_f, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
    Hey all,

My Windows recently detected that it wasn't genuine after I cracked it a few times using Daz's Win7 Loader. So yesterday I decided to do a Bios mod, followed by a Software mod.

But now, I cannot load windows. It would get to the "Boot from CD/DVD" part of the boot sequence, and then it would restart again. That is, I don't even see the "Starting Windows" screen.

I've tried the following
    - booting safe mode - but I cannot manage to get into the screen
    - repairing windows from the original dvd - but I get the error "This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows."
    - pressing R after bios loads - nothing happens

Can anyone help? I'm hoping to resolve this issue without having to format or install a new Windows over my existing one. Or is there a way to install Windows again with all the settings and programs intact?

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #2 Daz, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2013
    Did you check the notes folder, theres a file in there called "How to recover Windows.txt" ;)

When in a loop try a different activation mode or version 1.7.3 of the loader which can be found he re.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. m_f

m_f MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2010
    #3 m_f, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2013
    (OP)
    Hey Daz,
    I've tried going into the "repair" screen, but as my 2nd point states, I cannot get to the next screen. I have no idea why my Windows version is incompatible.

Is there any other way?

And how would I run the different version of the loader without loading windows?

4. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Normally the DVD is always bootable since a loader runs after the BIOS, in fact if the loader is active you would see "_" blink towards the top left after the BIOS options. If you do see the symbol then you can press and hold "R" and select to boot Windows without a SLIC.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. m_f

m_f MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2010
    I can't seem to get the menu to boot up after pressing R. Is there any other way?

6. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #6 Daz, Jan 20, 2010
    None, if you can't boot from DVD (which as I said you should always be able to do so via the quick boot menu or presetting it via the boot order) and you can't access the GRUB menu then you are stuck... The only thing I can think of is unplugging the hard drive cable and hoping your PC allows hot swapping so that you can add the drive once the DVD has loaded.

You say the loader got you stuck in a loop and then you must have managed to work around it to install the BIOS mod, but then you also installed the loader on top of that which makes debugging harder. You can only ever use one or the other at a time.

7. m_f

m_f MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2010
    I can get the DVD to boot, and I can click "Repair" windows, but I can't seem to go any further than that. Would the bios mod require me to get something from the OEM Manufacturer website?

8. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I can only guess the BIOS mod has seriously messed up your boot settings, have you tried loading into the BIOS and setting it to use the fail safe options?

I'm not sure what else to suggest if you cant access the disk and you can't access GRUB either o_O

9. m_f

m_f MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2010
    I just tried that, and it didn't work unfortunately. My next question is, is there a way to install win7 over my existing one with all the programs intact? Or am I referring to the "repair" option here? ;)

10. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Existing programs, I doubt it... but you could partition the drive and then access what files you need off the other partition.

What puzzles me though is how would you setup a new Windows 7 if you can't access the DVD?

11. m_f

m_f MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2010
    Let me try to say it again. Perhaps I said so many things I confused you - my bad!

I can boot from DVD, then I select "Repair your computer". It would do a search for the location of my Windows directory, and if I clicked next to ask the dvd to "use recovery tools...to fix problems starting Windows", I got the incompatible error as I typed in my first post.

I can't seem to go into cmd. Or am I missing something? I hope I'm clear enough!

12. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #12 Daz, Jan 20, 2010
    If I remember correctly when you access the recovery options it sometimes may automatically scan the drive, I think it allows you to cancel and skip through a few screens until you are given the option to load up a command prompt window. From there you can then do "bootsect.exe /nt60 all".

I'm actually full of a cold at the moment so I'm trying to keep up, I'm just half asleep too sorry! :31:

13. m_f

m_f MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2010
    Daz - I really appreciate your help. I can't ask for more than your instant replies. Again really apprecite it.

I managed to get cmd running. I tried "bootsect.exe /nt60 c:", but that didn't work.
    I thend tried "bootsect.exe /nt60 all" - That did the trick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daz - I cannot show my appreciation any more. You are truly a legend!!!!!

14. m_f

m_f MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2010
    Daz - one final question.

I have previously hacked my Windows with your loader. But Windows keep detecting that it's not genuine. I have turned automatic updates off. Is there a way for Windows not to check its authenticity?

15. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Ah good, glad you got it solved! You had me thinking there for a minute about all kinds of crazy workarounds to try and force boot Windows.

As for why it locks up I can only guess you got hit by the size padding bug, it's to do with some systems not liking what I do to the file to make it's size random. It will be fixed on 1.7.8 but I figure I should say it here that 1.7.3 is a solid workaround to the bug 1.7.7 may have :)

By chance do you let your system go into sleep mode and did you ever try the loader on anything but the default mode? You may find another mode works better and won't drop the SLIC (which is what causes activation to fail).

16. m_f

m_f MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2010
    well once again thank you so much Daz - for you help here and for the loader!:)

17. Sazabi

Sazabi MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    Suddenly today I got the msg that my windows 7 is not geuine msg, I went and install Daz loader 1.7.7 but forgot I had 7loader installed already with the bios boot thing. Now my comp just keep on restarting after BIOS finish loading, I can't even get into safe mode. Is there any way to fix this other than formating?

18. LoL4LoL

LoL4LoL MDL Junior Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Have you tried to boot from your Windows 7 disc and repair the boot loader?

19. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009