Win7 Lost sound with DVI to HDMI

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Ictoo, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Ictoo

Ictoo MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2013
    Hello i'm a little stumped atm with my sound problem, so i use to have window's vista installed on my computer and i would then connect it to my Samsung LCD tv with a DVI converter to HDMI and just use a audio jack into the tv for sound.

That was all no problem, worked fine. But now I've recently upgraded to Window's 7 and I'm now not getting any sound, i go in to the sound mixer/setup and it's only showing "high definition audio device" I'm assuming this is the HDMI trying to send sound to the TV but it not working as it was converted from DVI.

I'm not sure if im being really stupid here but i can't seem to figure this one could anyone give me some pointers? something to try? I just find it strange that this worked on vista now i'm having all these problems.

It's an Nvidia card that does not have HDMI out, Samsung tv with out a DVI port on it.

2. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    you have to install the motherboard sound /audio driver for your motherboard. what kind of motherboard do you have? have you googled for your motherboard auio drivers?delete" high definition audio device" in the audio panel before installing audio drivers

3. Ictoo

Ictoo MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2013
    I won't lie I was thinking about this last night as I was in bed, I just assumed windows installed the right one's. I'll try that today can't really find drivers that fit for win7 only vista so ill go with that.

Motherboard is a Asus - p5nsli