Win7 Networking Question - combine 2 adaptors?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by benenglish, Nov 20, 2009.

1. benenglish

benenglish MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
    Hey folks, would be grateful if someone could help out here...

I have 2 broadband sources from different providers .. the first one I am wired directly into the hub, and the 2nd is from my brothers next door flat through wifi (a different provider / different router).

I wondered how it would be possible in Win7 to join the two adaptors together so I could get more throughput to my computer?

Any ideas?

2. curriegrad2004

curriegrad2004 MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2008
    Windows 7, no

In Windows 7: No. Bridging the two connections won't work either.

In Windows Server 2008 or 2008 R2 with Forefront TMG: Maybe, but I doubt it might work.

You'll just have to think of a way to balance out the usage of the two connections well yourself. (Eg. using a second laptop or computer with a WiFi Card.)

3. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    you need server adapters to team them. It is possible to use it in a redundancy but normal NICs are not able to be teamed.

4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    That is correct. I do know of a trick; but it requires installing a firmware mod and taking out the soldering iron. You don't want to do that.

Just make sure the channels are properly chosen so no interference will downgrade the connection. Make sure u have the latest firmware installed, and make sure the virtual server in the firewall is correctly set.
    Place the wireless somewhere in a central place, away from TV and Microwave.

5. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    use linux :) i have something like that however it doesnt work for all connections, i have it enabled only for torrents because torrent client makes multiple connections and it makes some thrue one network card and other thrue other. This can never work for http/ftp traffic. Im having normal http/ftp traffic (actualy all ports from 1-1024 + some more) using only one connection.

6. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    In theory that's a boost in throughput, but in practice you actually don't win a lot by doing that. Doesn't matter if u use one or two NIC's combined, the only limitation will be your ISP. Plus even when using two NIC's, you still depend on Seeders/Leechers and upload/download ratio.
    So the actual outcome won't be a lot better.

My isp gives me 24Mb/sec. That's comes down to about 3 MB/sec (2.5 down and 0.5 up). I usually have a throughput of 2 - 2.5 MB/sec download and that's about the same as I would get combining two NIC's. That limitation lies with my ISP, not with me.

7. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    thats true you are still depended on seeders/leechers etc. However it helps greatly for private trackers. My connection is 20/20, from my neighbour is 10/10. From tracker like torrentleech i always download between 3.2-3.4MB/s (aka max of combined connection). Then i have also 3rd connection from some unprotected wifi around my place that is on different ISP but since it sux (its 1024/256), i didnt put it in the mix, im only using it as backup connection is My ISP fails (neighbour have same ISP). But like i said having 2 connections like that you need to make sure that important traffic goes only thrue one, because otherwise you might have problems.