Win7, no internet?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RASelkirk, Feb 16, 2010.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Hi All,

I've got a new Win7 desktop (replaced my old XP desktop) connected to my Netgear DG634 wireless router via ethernet cable. The router is connected to a Time-Warner cable modem. I also have an XP laptop that connects with the wireless.

The new Win7 box will NOT connect to the internet, even though it connects to the laptop just fine (homegroup), and the laptop connects to the internet just fine. I did have to configure the Win7 LAN card manually, as it kept giving me a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP when in auto. Now it's manually set to 192.168.1.2 and sees everything BUT the internet.

I thought Win7 was supposed to be easy, any ideas?

Russ

2. Bovah

Bovah MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2009
    Maybe your ethernet card or wireless card doesn't have a W7 compatible driver.

3. gavo

gavo MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2008
    If you set the IP address manually did you also set the gateway to point to the correct router IP?

4. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Yup, the router's IP is set to 192.168.1.1. Both 'puters see each other, but the Win7 box cannot see the internet.

5. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Finally got it to work! I made so many changes I can't pinpoint exactly what did it, but allowing Win7 to troubleshoot and fix the problem (which I'd done numerous x's in the past) was the final "fix" this time...

Russ