Win7 On A Partitioned HDD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DeathStalker77, Sep 6, 2014.

1. DeathStalker77

DeathStalker77 MDL Addicted

Nov 8, 2009
    Ok, while I have done this before (many times), I have NOT previously configured it so that JUST the OS is on the C: drive and all the "installable" files (i.e., X:\Program Files\, X:\Program Files (x86}, and X:\Program Data) are stored on the 2nd partition.

I have seen this done for corporate comps a lot, in case there is an OS corruption it's easy to just re-image the C: drive.

Is there any REAL advantage to this on a home system, or am I creating more trouble than it's worth.

Right now I have a 2TB drive for the primary drive and it's partitioned with 500GB allocated for the C: - I have noticed that if I put a lot of files on there (just in a temp storage folder, while moving things around), it becomes increasingly sluggish.

Is there a GOOD partition software to adjust the partition size and drop it down to maybe 100GB/150GB for teh C: and dedicate it ONLY to installed programs and the OS and re-allocate that extra space to the other partition? (WITHOUT losing the data that's already there!)

Thanks! :)

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. jokubelis

jokubelis MDL Novice

Sep 9, 2014
    I have used Partedmagic. Now I see it's not free. But you can find older version, burn cd and use.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ DeathStalker77, I have never personally known any advantage as to installing software on other partitions.
    When you need to reinstall windows most of the programs will not work unless they are self contained exe files or portable.

Documents and Data and even some games files for example yes. Another point 500GB for windows partition is massive I personally only have 120 GB and normally I would only use 60- 80 GB it is just because it is SD Drive you need to remember about backing up system drive you want to be able to restore as quick as possible, I can restore and I have used 51 GB on my system drive in a few minutes how long would 500 GB take. and also the time to back that up.

5. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    The size of the drive is irrelevant, its the amount of data on it that matters. Any proper backup software will ignore free space unless you specify differently.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I know that but the larger the drive the more stuff you tend put on it. o_O

7. Ming_the_Merciless

Ming_the_Merciless MDL Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Often I realize that my "perfect" partitioning and file management scheme one month is a load of poop the next month. With reliable backup/restore (Acronis, Paragon, etc.) and AOMEI Partition Assistant (have never lost data with it), I can do what I want, when I want.

8. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    All my Windows 7 system partitions are 50GB, all my user data is stored on a different partition of system drive and all my data backups (and system images) are kept on a second and third internal drive. The data partition size is a function of the computer's usage. The music and video machine get a large data partition, the business machine's data partition is much smaller. I've never had a problem with this scheme. By having a system partition for Windows 7 only, restoration of a Windows system image of C: is fast and it doesn't disturb user data in any way.

I use GpartEd to partition usually; there are other good ones.

But regardless ... backup, backup and backup again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Well, I actually feel 30GB is plenty, sometimes 20GB, but if you use 50GB there's almost a zero chance of running out of space. HDDs are cheap and I prefer to NOT resize partitions. Generally you can't just change one, you have to change them all. So I err on the large size to preclude having to make changes.