Win7 Permission errors

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dakoslug, Jan 20, 2011.

1. dakoslug

dakoslug MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2011
    Hey, I have Windows 7 and I've been having trouble with some permission errors.
    I recently installed Avast Internet Security or something like that and a week or so after the installation everytime I start my computer a error message came up
    "The program can't start because ashBase.dll is missing from you computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"

I've been able to track down the ashBase.dll file, so my initial thought was to drag the file into the Avast directory.
    But I come up with a error saying
    "You need permissions to change this folder"

Any suggestions to fix this?

2. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    I don't use avast so I can't be of much help... but to be able to make changes to the folder, you may sometimes need to take ownership of the folder... right click on the folder, click properties, go to the security tab and click "advanced"... go to the owner tab and take ownership of it by selecting your username and clicking "apply"... the click over to the permissions tab and edit the permissions for your username and making sure you have full control... "OK" out of everything then try copy to it

3. FukenGruven

FukenGruven MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    NOTE: the cnet download for unlocker is only for the 32bit version... that guy's site is down and I had a hard time finding the 64bit version (no one mirrors it apparently), till I found his official backup site
    still can't posts links yet, so copy and paste this to your browser to go to his backup site, which DOES have the 64bit version: cedrick.collomb.perso.sfr.fr/unlocker

you need the 64bit version to run in 64-bit windows, or you'll be forced to disable 64-bit explorer and use the 32-bit version (which is a lame idea)

5. KotaXor

KotaXor MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    If you use Malwarebytes....there is a tool in it called FileASSASSIN which is very useful too.

6. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    I believe I know the issue, lol
    As I use Avast too. Try to kill the Avast running processes before adding your ash.dll ,or as suggested do it in safe mode. You ll be good to go, nothing serious there, nothing at all. Avast installed properly wont give that error, it is not your Win7. It is the way you installed Avast that is the culprit.peace