Win7 stalls at 'finishing install'

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Superimposedhope, May 18, 2010.

1. Superimposedhope

Superimposedhope MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2009
    First I'd like to say thanks to the many that make this a truly useful site; having said that, I have a problem. I was running the 7 that I got from here a year or so ago and last month my power blinked and when the puter booted up, it no longer could run or reinstall that 7. I have gotten 2 different newer versions of 7 but they both hang after the restart at 'finishing install'....I left it overnight and it had not changed. The screen is not frozen but no progress.

Thanks,
    J.

2. superman9379

superman9379 MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    I had the same problem before. Unplug all usb devices that are not essential for the initial install. This includes all printers, etc. This was the solution I found after googling my symptoms.

3. Superimposedhope

Aug 4, 2009
    The only thing plugged in is a wireless router and the monitor, nothing else.

4. racky29

racky29 MDL Senior Member

Aug 2, 2007
    have you got more than 1 hard drive, you may need to remove it temorarily

5. Superimposedhope

Aug 4, 2009
    When it was previously installed I had 2 harddrives and it ran fine until recently. I have 3 now but even when installed to the C partition it will not finish the install. It will finish after 5-6 hours then hangs at restart screen when windows orbs come together. Why will my system no longer install Win 7?

J

6. chokobanana

chokobanana MDL Junior Member

Aug 28, 2009

7. trolltamer2

trolltamer2 MDL Junior Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Just a thought.........are you overclocking any of the components?? Also what is the spec of the machine? and have you tried with only the HDD you are trying to install Win7 on??

8. Superimposedhope

Aug 4, 2009
    I'm currently running Vista 32 on C, attempting to install 7 x64 to a second physical drive. I haven't tried unplugging the other drives, maybe I will. No overclocking that I am aware of.

Operating system:Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
    Service pack:2.0
    Manufacturer:HP-Pavilion
    Model:GX612AA-ABA m8330f
    Serial Number:
    uuid:800CC18CCDDF591080F5AE307741822F
    BIOS type:Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    BIOS ID:11/30/2007-MCP61P-NARRA3-00
    BIOS sign on:None
    BIOS date:2007.11.30
    Chipset:AMD 1200 rev 0

9. trolltamer2

trolltamer2 MDL Junior Member

Jun 5, 2007
    I would try unplugging other HDD's and see how that works........best case would be a just a freshly formated drive!............ are they sata or ide drives?

10. Superimposedhope

Aug 4, 2009
    Brand new 1TB SATA Caviar black, ill give it a try

11. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Since you said that it once worked for you try checking all the cables inside the tower just to be sure and also go into the bios settings and restore default settings. Sometimes that needs to be done or you may have changed a setting in the bios that caused that. Hopefully this will help you out dude. Good luck. Also if you can update the bios as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Superimposedhope

Aug 4, 2009
    All I can find for BIOS update is for sale only and not really interested in purchasing support at this time. Other than that, tried another install with all other drives unplugged made no difference with default BIOS or otherwise. Doing searches online there are quite a few people with this problem.

J

13. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    When you said there is a bios update for sale then that means that your motherboard manufacture probably released a bios update that you should be able to get for free. Motherboard manufactures do not sell them! Now for the next matter, did you try a different install source like another disk or something to see if maybe you have a bad disk? Other then that the only thing I can think of is either a hardware issue or loose cables. If your main HDD is a western digital download and run the boot version of Data LifeGuard and see if your HDD passes. It could be that your system drive(Not the new 1TB Caviar Black) is having issues which will lead to this issue? Where exactly does the setup hang? Stage 4 or 5 and if it is stage 5 is it the second half of stage 5?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Superimposedhope

Aug 4, 2009
    My motherboard manufacturer points me back to a sale site (biosagent) for update. All 3 discs pass hardware test, SMART, and checkdisc utility; everything is good and up to date except the BIOS. Im running Vista right now with no problem and I can install it from disc with no problem. I have 3 different versions of W7 all of which have others giviing positive results generally. verifications show that discs are written correctly and done so at 4x......just dont know....

J

15. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Even though the install disk verified correctly does not mean that it is flawproof. Sometimes even 1 scratch will mess them up so I would still make another one. If you have at least a 4 GB flash drive you could always install win7 from there too so you don't waste a disk.

16. Superimposedhope

Aug 4, 2009
    I dont have a 4GB just a 1, I am sure it is not the disc as I have tried a few different discs with different versions. They all stall at the same place. The RC had run fine

J

17. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Ok, where exactly does it stall? Have you tried the upgrade install option from within windows itself? That might work. I would still look for any bios updates if there are any. I would also set defaults in your bios just in case.

18. Superimposedhope

Aug 4, 2009
    I finally got it installed by unplugging everything except the keyboard and using only the onboard VGA.....finally installed and replugged everything and now recognized.

J