Win7 Std Embedded OEM?

Discussion in 'Windows Embedded' started by sebus, May 11, 2010.

1. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Does anybody know if Win7 Embedded is/will be ever OEM activated in a usual SLIC way?

sebus

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #2 sebus, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
    (OP)
    No need yet to install anything, as the trial last for 6 months anyway...
    But it does look like a good solution for older hardware, which usually means glorified typewriter, email & Internet browser only!

sebus

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    How does one extra bits AFTER the initial install?

sebus

4. bilou_gateux

bilou_gateux MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2008
    URL="h**p://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/quebeccomponentsforum/thread/cf62a769-e17b-44a7-aa23-89290fbefbdf"

Activation of quebec

5. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    I don't know anything about this but I assume it is a stripped down Win7 kernel designed to do the things the linux OS installed on my PVR does - record, display the epg, playback etc - obviously this is only one type of implementation - who can forget the LG Internet refridgerator ???

Is it more than that ? Why would anyone want it other than curiousity ?

I'd like to know what benefit it is.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Embedded standard is designed to be modular, so it can be scaled up to being essentially a full desktop, or scaled down to running virtually nothing. As well it's flexible in allowing it to boot off of CD, USB flash, and can use EWF (enhanced write filter) to prevent writes to disk.

Applications would be similar to XPe, which is used for ATMs, kiosks, display systems, etc.

7. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    OK - so it is what they promised to deliver with Vista and 7 but failed to do ?

Seems I remember M$ bragging about "Longhorn" which included a completely new file system, modular design, faster boot times, security which wouldn't rely on "outdated" scanning techniques thus doing away with traditional antivirus applications and a new GUI.

We got Vista.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Techiekid

Techiekid MDL Member

Nov 3, 2009
    I find the modular aspects, and usb and ewf boot write properties very interesting. Those anyone know of any site with enthusiasts working this Os.??

I would like to see what appliances I can port it to effectively. I assume it may be a like a win7 pe from what you are all saying..

9. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    "Failed to deliver"? Embedded is and always has been a product for developers, not end users. It never promised new file system, just to be able to selectively install components of the OS, just like XP embedded. Part of the problem with "MinWin" is that it's hard to narrow down the absolute smallest set of required APIs. With Embedded where the requirements are fixed, the developer can figure out the minimum requirements. End users? They try vlite or nlite configurations, removing "unnecessary" components and then later on it ends up "oops, I need that feature".

Of course it's better than Linux which is happy with weld on cruft. Let's weld on GUI in the form of X-server, but still make it this absurdly complex thing to configure.

I know XPe has a following in carputer world.

It differs from WinPE. Where a standard install of Windows requires tailoring to the hardware (to the point that a change of hardware can cause it to explode), WinPE is designed to boot on any hardware without installation, and to be able to run from read only hardware (like CDROM). It's usually the absolute barest of bones, for the point of deploying windows or running recovery tools. No sound, VESA video, etc.

Embedded is designed to installed, and be scalable, from what would be little more than the bare bones of PE to a full fledge installation, running media player with full aero, etc.