Win7 technical support

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Skeetmann, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Skeetmann

Skeetmann MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2010
    Hi, folks:

I have a technical question about Win7/Win7SP1. I hope this is an easy fix; although, I have not been able to find it, if it is. I have been running Win7 for a while, with all of the updates and service packs installed. For the past few weeks, when I open My Computer, I can no longer view the size of the hard drives at the bottom of the device listing like this (see pic taken from a laptop). laptop.jpg

Instead, my desktop now shows no detailed information like it used to. (see picture) IMAG0838.jpg

I have no idea what changed. I have taken my laptop and verified all of the View settings are the same as the laptop, but I cannot get the view the way I want it, which is to display the size details of the drives. I have gone through the various View and Security settings and changed them so they both match, but cannot get it back to the detailed View I had before on my PC. I’d like to think this is a basic setting revision, but I have gone through the View settings item by item and I sure cannot find out what I would need to change in the View settings of My Computer. Thus, it seems to me that some setting in the registry may have changed, although, I don’t know where to look or what to change back to get the detailed view back again. Lastly, I using the Tiles View and I have toggled from various views and tried to reset the Tiles View, but nothing has changed. Do you all have any ideas on how to fix this minor, but vexing issue? It is minor in the grand scheme of life, but it does irritate me that it seems so darn difficult to fix.

Attached Files:

2. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Senior Member

May 5, 2010
    It appears you are in icon view. At the top, right of the window is a drop down list (to the left of the help icon). Hover your mouse over the list and you will see "more options". Adjust the slider to the "Tiles" position.

3. Skeetmann

Skeetmann MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2010
    I am in Tile View. Now, you see my frustration that it is not showing the details in the Tile View like it should? Also, it does show the details in any other view. A registry corruption, perhaps? First pictures shows Tile View; second picture shows Icon View. Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

4. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    #5 stayboogy, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
    just go to "view" on the menu bar and click on "choose details" (3rd from the bottom) and make sure those details are checked with a mark, and then go back to normal "tile" view and see if they show up--they should.

but if you have not changed view settings for folders any time recently, then yes you've probably got some sort of corruption going on. which seems to be normal for windows 7, albeit not your problem per se but just it being glitchy in general.

5. Skeetmann

Skeetmann MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2010
    Update: I have run SFC and it came back with no errors. I have also attached a picture showing that the details are checked. I have un-checked them, re-started the PC, and then re-checked them again and the view is the same (without the details). Uggghhh...I have also checked the width of the columns against my laptop and a work computer and they are all set to identical settings. I'm stumped. I'm really hoping it is an obvious setting somewhere that I have over-looked. Any other thoughts or keys in the registry I might go verify or edit to get the details back? Thanks! Image1.jpg

6. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    unfortunately i'm stumped too. i will say this, i've had multiple 7 installs that have suddenly lost certain things, most of them being icons and sometimes even complete installs of programs, and as of right now, out of several reinstalls of 7 i think i'm actually on a fully working, no errors install.

7 just seems to be horribly put together, like it never went through quality control or something, or like it wasn't properly tested before the RTM. the more i play with the more i find wrong with it...

7. IronMaiden

IronMaiden MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Why is that Percent Full setting in the last screenshot unchecked? Shouldn't it be on?

8. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
  9. Skeetmann

Skeetmann MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2010
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply! I appreciate it. I agree that Win7 is a bit quirky; although, I cannot imagine how something like this got lost. I don't think I'm missing anything obvious, but if you all think of anything, please let me know. I'd be willing to give it a whirl. Speaking of quirkiness and Win7, one time I lost the option to add a new folder on my desktop--just disappeared--luckily, I found a registry edit to fix that and was good to go again. I was hoping there was something similar I could do to fix this issues, as well. If you all have any other thoughts, please let me know! Thanks again.

10. Hunter3000

Hunter3000 MDL Junior Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Can we install Embedded on VHD disk or we must install it on physical partition?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...