Win7 Ultimate only seeing 2 of 4 CPU cores

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jasqid, Mar 6, 2011.

1. jasqid

jasqid MDL Member

Feb 10, 2008
    I just built a system today with the AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black CPU and the MSI 880GMA-E55 mobo.
    I flashed the BIOS with the latest working MOD version 25.2 with the MSI SLIC2.1. (It was in the MOD section here in the forum)

I just noticed that Windows only sees 2 of the 4 cores in teh performance meter. However in the BIOS, it's showing me 4 cores.

Can anyone enlighten me? Is the BIOS mod that I flashed bad? Or is there something wrong with my install? I havent noticed any problems other than this CPU core issue.

I probably would not have noticed it, but when I tweak the systems I build, I always go into the advanced options of MSCONFIG and check mark the number of processors. In this case only 2 is available with began me down this road.

I've already gone through all the BIOS menues making sure there wasnt some sort of setting to reduce/disable/ core features but nothing like this stood out @ me.

2. jasqid

jasqid MDL Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Well... dummy me... Ask and find it. :/

Found that I had to chang ethe CPU setting from Auto to Manual.... then I could see each core and set them to ENABLE.

But the scary part is... now that they are enabled and I have completed a reboot, Windoze is still seeing only 2. :(

3. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Make sure the following is not set:
    - Run msconfig
    - Click the 'boot' tab
    - Ensure 'Number of Processors' is disabled

There was a tweak with Vista that you could set that to the number of processors your system has, and it supposedly slightly improved boot time. This setting has no benefit to Windows 7, so they say, but something might have set it. Keep in mind that if it is set to '2', the maximum number it will show there is 2! You have to disable it before changing it.

If it is disabled, try enabling it and see if there are 4 in the drop down list, and try that. I doubt that this has anything to do with it, but couldn't hurt looking :)

It might be you need Windows to re-analyse the CPU features due to the BIOS change, but I'm not sure of the command to do it. This may be a cause if the CPU Microcode had changed in the new BIOS, but then again I'm honestly not even sure about this! But there is a way for Windows to do this, so you might as well try it :)

4. jasqid

jasqid MDL Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Thanks burfadel!

Just did that and it worked. I can see all 4 now.