Win7 Upgrade discs, Can anyone confirm upgrade process?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by WeAreNotAlone, Oct 13, 2009.

1. WeAreNotAlone

WeAreNotAlone MDL Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Hello all,

It's very late... but I have a question.

Have some Win7 Premium Upgrade disc(s) on order, Debating whether to cancel the upgrade disc(s), or use the other images I have...

One question I have on the Win7 Premium Upgrade disc(s) is the process to do a clean install with them on a newHD/machine.

(I was wondering if it was like Vista...Install without key, then upgrade over install...)

I keep reading conflicting info on the net that:

A: A activated MS OS must be on the hd.
    B: MS is killing the OS license of the OS you use to upgrade from?

Can anyone expand on my options?

2. Vidmeir

Vidmeir MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2009
    I haven't tried(waiting for 10/22) this but read it in a new windows 7 book. You can install the upgrade windows 7 to a clean partition, no key. Then from within the OS run the upgrade executable, then it will "upgrade" it to windows 7, then install the key and you're done.

No need for a vista or XP install first. Is it a double install but the cheapest legit option.

3. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
  4. WeAreNotAlone

WeAreNotAlone MDL Member

Aug 31, 2007
    #4 WeAreNotAlone, Oct 13, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
    (OP)

EDIT: 2010-11... Upgrade discs can be used to do a fresh install. Installer searches hd for qualifying OS, even if the drive has been formatted then proceeds. Option B is to do a double install on a system in which you do have the qualifying OS meldia (EG you're legal), but don't want to waste time installing a OS just to format right over it.