Win7x64 won't start, boot critical file missing :wtf:

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Tex Arcana, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Tex Arcana

Tex Arcana MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2010
    I go to turn my comp on (i7-920, Asus P6E, 6GB ram, Asus HD4870
    -1GB, 1TB WD Caviar Black OS drive, 1TB Samsung data drive, Win7x64Ultimate), and I get the following message:

Auto system repair cannot fix it, keeps saying it can't do squat.

I do some gooooogling, find a bit of info that says replace that file with one from the recovery console, which fails, and causes similar message but with "kcdcom.dll" instead. Try the same thing with that file, now getting "0xc0000001" fail. :-(

Suggestions?

TIA

2. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Do a Bios Default settings reset, may be an issue with the motherboard settings.

3. Tex Arcana

Tex Arcana MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2010
    I've checked the BIOS, it's fine. I've also done damn near everything in the toolkit, including chkdsk, memory diagnostic tool, system restores, and replacing the damaged .dll's. I'm running memtest now, but I don't think that's the problem fwiw.

Someone mentioned Alureon trojan as the culprit... And I've noticed that there's a bunch of windows updates with restore points on almost a daily basis, even tho I have updates turned off.

The story so far:

Well, I went to post the story so far, but because I have less than 20 posts, I can't post the iScreencaps that tell the whole story (link to my photobuket acct, so I don't put up 1600x1200 images), which is wierd because I thought I had enough posts to do this.

Whatever, not much help here, thanks anyway

4. Trinket

Trinket MDL Senior Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Do you overclock? Your mem, volts, etc., not right, your HDD won't function right either (been there, done that). Do you dual boot? Why do you mention a trojan as that's not the default cause of such errors (unless you know something you're not telling), etc.

As for the photobucket links, why don't you be creative and post the part that counts (after the .com) and people can still take a look?

Sorry that people can't see past your wonderful attitude...

5. KotaXor

KotaXor MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Try the "Upgrade" instead.....it will replace all the Windows system files.
    Your existing programs and settings will still remain intact.

6. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    If you have a win7 dvd, boot from it into system recovery options and run startup repair and sfc scan. If you dont have a dvd, download the repair disk from neosmart (just google), its about 140 mb download, then run those options from there.

7. Tex Arcana

Tex Arcana MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2010
    Considering that most of y'all are a day late and a dollar short, it shouldn't be surprising to you at all.

Let's not forget I'm posting all this via an iPhone, and doing so on multiple forums, so cut'n'paste is the most viable option. Since I've been on this forum for at least 4 years now, I figured I had the postcounts to do what I needed to do; alas, not so, and I'm damned frustrated with this and alot of the lameo answers I'm getting (including here), you again shouldn't be surprised.

I finally gave up and restored an Acronis backup from last June, and am running tests on it now to be sure the HD, which I bought last May, isn't the culprit (shouldn't be, but at least under warranty).

8. Trinket

Trinket MDL Senior Member

Feb 20, 2010
    So who gives a damn about your undisclosed plight? How does anyone know that, and how can YOU demand help like that, as if you set any parameters for other people. "let's not forget..." You got some serious personality issues dude, looks like a missing boot file is the least of your problems. Tip: go somewhere else. Or call the Dell hotline, they're used to dealing with people like you. Prick.