Win8.1 performance issues not experienced in 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by jmacie, Sep 15, 2013.

1. jmacie

jmacie MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
    With a clean install of win8.1 I'm getting numerous errors and warnings in event editor. I don't have any startup programs and have a tvtuner prog on while websurfing. Every hour on the hour I get these 500 and 501 warnings:

The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.
    Reason:CPU resources are over-utilized.
    Diagnosis:A sharp degradation in Desktop Window Manager responsiveness was observed.

This is my third re-install of 8.1 to check to see what I might have done wrong. It's the same every time.
    I put my old win8 image back and those eventIDs are not there when running two programs. I'm using a quad core cpu, and taskmanager is @16% CPU. I'm not experiencing a noticeable performance hit, I only noticed it because I was experiencing a super slow cold boot in 8.1 and checked the event editor and found the 501 events.
    With less startups programs 8.1 is booting slower, too. Event editor doesn't give me a clue what the startup issues might be. Google has some info on the 500 and 501 events but they refer to the the other 500-501 errors about video cards, and my 501 error is about cpu performance. Any ideas appreciated, thanks jmacie p.s. it's all optimized and defragged.

2. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    I'm wondering whether you have installed any third party drivers (including those from the computer maker) after your clean install of Windows? Or are you getting the errors with just the clean install of Windows?

3. jmacie

jmacie MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Thanx Rock Hunter,

All drivers from windows, gonna use ati/amd beta driver to see if that's it, but I really don't think so, I'm not having video problems, plus the amd driver in 8.1 is newer than amd's beta. It's really weird that the errors are every hour exactly. Plus the boot up is puzzlingly slow. No info in event editor, just high numbers of degradation. I hate to go back to eight. I even tried an upgrade install too, same thing. Just looking for ideas, thanx again.

4. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Try running an admin prompt: "SFC /SCANNOW" see if there are any integrity violations

5. jmacie

jmacie MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Thanx murphy78, I still have the same problems. I'm gonna try downloading reinstalling 8.1 again. Will report back thanks again.

6. pauliewog

pauliewog MDL Member

Jul 24, 2009
    I keep having a problem with explorer restarting after I open it to view files and what not. For some reason windows search keep stopping or hanging. I never had this issue before in 7 or 8!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Daniellll

Daniellll MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2007
    pauliewog Check fixes at surfacetablethelp.com, its the 5th section

, sorry i cant post the link because i have less than 20 posts

8. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I would only recommend trying something like that if a full re-install doesn't help.
    Since a SFC scan turned up nothing, I'd say it's likely another program or device driver causing the problem.
    If you simply block the problem windows service from running on it's default path, it will likely cause problems in another area.

If jmacie does end up doing that, I recommend also learning how to undo it if they patch it with a kbfile.

9. jmacie

jmacie MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Well, I give up. I appreciate everyone's input. Maybe after Oct 18 I'll post on Windows tech blog. These 500 and 501 errors are weird in that they happen every hour exactly, even with no programs running. It would logically be a driver, but event viewer doesn't point to a specific driver or service, so gotta give up for now, thanks all! jmacie

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Why not try to use an "Sniffer" apps for to find out there is any apps/driver etc. causing that problem. An sufficient apps for to do that would be NADETECTOR, NSAUDITOR, WHATSRUNNING or some like that! I would give such a try!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. jmacie

jmacie MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Thank you

Thank you pisthai, I'll give these a try!

12. jmacie

jmacie MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
    No luck, too bad windows event viewer online help doesn't work.

13. eydee

eydee Guest

The newest 13.10 beta is supposed to support 8.1. I don't think WU has anything newer than that. Give it a try.

14. jmacie

jmacie MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
  15. jmacie

jmacie MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Thank you, I've tried 13.10 and the other beta open gl driver. It would be nice to know if it's my video card drivers. I might have to dig out an old video card to see if that's it, just now thought of that, will post back thanks.

16. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    maybe it has something to do with your tvtuner or its drivers.

17. jmacie

jmacie MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I tried a different video card, win8.1 won't boot. Gonna have to reinstall 8.1 from scratch with the different card. Might just wait a while. MrChris, I said tvtuner, but it's just a slingbox player. Anyway, in the beginning I was watching the player while surfing. I didn't experience video problems or anything. This all stems from a 2+ minute boot time. I was checking on the 100-110 eventIDs and I saw the 500-501 errors, that's when this all started. The errors come every hour whether I have a program or browser or nothing running. Since I'm not experiencing a problem I'm gonna just hold out and see if anything is really effected, thanks for your help and info, I appreciate it. P.S. my boot time is normal now.

18. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I have heard of people not being able to pass the config stage of setup while a HDMI cable is hooked to another device.
    If unhooking that doesn't work, you could try taking out the card or disabling whatever it is until setup is done; then rehooking it up.