Win8 Key problem to reinstall Win8 OEM from USB, to a new HDD on OEM Win8 laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by win8netuser, Jan 19, 2014.

1. win8netuser

win8netuser MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2014
    #1 win8netuser, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    I need to find the Win8 Product key that is in the BIOS of my Acer laptop as there is only a Win8 logo on its case, and I need to put a new HDD in it, and to reinstall the original Win8 OS.
    I need to download Win8 to prepare a Win8 install flash drive that will install win8 to the new HDD.
    I've tried WpKey on the current HDD (which I need to replace), but when trying to use the key it gave me online, in the Win8 Setup to download Win8 from the Microsoft site, it returned an error saying "This key cannot be used to install a retail version of Win8".
    So I have 2 problems:
    __ where can I download a Win8 ISO, without having to first type in a product key? Seems to me I should not have to produce the key beforehand, since anyway Win8 install is supposed to automatically pickup the Win8 key from the BIOS of my laptop?
    (I do not wish to have to pay $45 or so to buy the manufacturer recovery media, as it seems Win8 is downloadable)
    __ I used WpKey to obtain the BIOS key. It did not change when I checked, then unchecked, the box for "MSDM KEY". Also, I ran the program 3 times and it gave me the same key#, so it is a pretty firm result. But, was the key given by WpKey really the BIOS key, or an installation-produced key that cannot be reused?
    (In fact, are any of the key viewer programs really able to view the OEM BIOS key, not just keys that were manually entered during Win8 installation?)

2. WeAreNotAlone

WeAreNotAlone MDL Member

Aug 31, 2007
  3. win8netuser

win8netuser MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2014
    thanks what does it mean "if it is single language"? How can I tell?
    Here is what the online PIDchecker reported about the version:
    Edition Type : Core
    Description : Win 8 RTM Core OEM:DM

How do I get to the depositories?

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  5. win8netuser

win8netuser MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2014
    Thanks WeAreNotAlone for all the details, I could not quote the message as it hanged; so here are a few points:
    1__ Confirming: BelArc 8.4 gave me same key as WpKey and PIDchecker
    under "Manage all your software licenses...".
    (btw I was surprised to see Internet Explorer had the same key)
    So this key really must be the MSDM KEY.
    Now, does this mean it is NOT the BIOS key?
    (I'm new to this, how does "OEM:DM" key fit with the BIOS key and the MSDM key?)
    Will this key work for creating an install flashdrive and then to reactivate this OEM laptop?
    Or am I back to square 1, having to find out the BIOS key?
    2__ how do you get a generic WIN8 key to download from the Microsoft store?
    3__ in the link you provided I saw these versions in the table:
    SKU = Core Use MSDN copy of Windows 8 (multiple editions) iso
    SKU = CoreSingleLanguage (*) Use the leaked official iso.
    Mine is a just a "core" version", it's described as "Win 8 RTM Core OEM:DM" AND "Windows 8 RTM Build 9200"
    Does it mean using the CoreSingleLanguage will not work for creating an intall flashdrive that could activate on my laptop using your described method?
    Or will it work, but some components might be missing? How critical is the difference between these 2 versions of Win8?

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Please read, all your queries are already answered.

1. MSDM table is part of ACPI namespace which is derived from bios/EFI. It is designed to be read by Windows Installer at time of installation.

2. If you already have OEM Windows 8, then (by default) Store prompts you to upgrade to 8.1 (no key input is needed). Otherwise start with a clean MSDN media.

3. Obviously Core SL willn't work but Core will.

:sailor:

7. win8netuser

win8netuser MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2014
    #8 win8netuser, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    (OP)
    Actually there are lots of answers, but they address many issues and are not always relevant to my case.
    other answers I read are for Win7 OEMs upgrading, or retail Win8 reinstalls, or for single-language versions etc., ...not my case.
    As far as upgrading to 8.1 from an OEM 8, yes it will be automatic on the MS site.
    But my specific problem is as per my post title:
    Win8 Key problem to reinstall Win8 OEM from USB, to a new HDD on OEM Win8 laptop:
    Thanks for clarifying that I do have the MSDM key ok.; now,
    my primary problem to solve is the reinstall of my OEM win8 to a new HDD.
    1)__The leanest and best solution would be to have at hand an installable ISO of the same Win8 version that was used to manufacture my laptop, but I'm a bit leery to spend a lot of time to find it, and use bittorrent, and to have to differentiate a good file etc. Since such a file could not install without the key that is already in my laptop, it is a pity indeed for that ISO not to be easily available from Microsoft! I was hoping to find a link to it but the forum had to stop its ISO links in the repositories.
    2)__A long solution, not my choice really, would be for me to buy the recovery media from Acer, but then it would install bloatware including obsolete versions of proprietary programs that pop to be upgraded for a price etc.
    3)__ a 3rd solution would be to use the Win8 recovery interface on my laptop to create a recovery flashdrive, what will that install flashdrive include? just Win8? just Win8 and the hardware drivers? or the full OEM laptop install with all its software?

8. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    #9 Flipp3r, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. WeAreNotAlone

WeAreNotAlone MDL Member

Aug 31, 2007
    #10 WeAreNotAlone, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    RE: OEM OS fresh install /install media. ISO easily available from MS.

The impression I get is on a OEM copy of Windows MS sells the OS to the OEM it's the OEM's responsibility for "support" after the sale.
    (In this case media for reinstalling the OS)

On using a ISO found on the net, It's a pain to have to search and expose yourself to the "dark" side of the net to be able to source such which should be available via the OEM.
    I'm of the mindset just like "ordering" recovery media and having to pay for something that should have been included with the machine in the first place upon "registering" your PC with the OEM you should be able to download it directly from them /it be shipped @ no-charge upon request.

Here's what you do:

File the HASH value of the media you need.
    Google with HASH value.
    Download
    Check HASH value with HashTab (linked to above, or hash app or your choice)
    If the hash of the file you download matches the "published" values... It's CLEAN, "Untouched".
    Install with generic key.
    Once installed change to OEM key.

See if they offer "Install media". As a suggestion call Acer and tell them you were unable to create media via the machine.
    BTW How old is PC? I would think "if" you are within the "Return Window" you could tell them, Hey it you can't ship me the media @no charge I'm going to return it, buy maybe 10 -20 more... then return those as well.
    (Point being by shipping you the media @no-charge they will profit, both in the short and long term.)

Variation if you are beyond the return window is ask for the proper spelling of their name, and let them know you will be contacting their higher ups on this issue expressing your "dissatisfaction".

1: Most OEM's (HP for example) since the cheapskates don't ship the machine with install /recovery media put a app on the PC which will create (1) set of recovery media.... after that it locks you out.

I was unsuccessful in creating the media on the machine itself, so I called HP... and got them to ship me the media @ no-charge.... They even next day air'ed it.

2: On the MS app... Upgraded from Win8 to Win8.1 via the "store", As it was OEM could not download / create /store a copy of 8.1 upgrade.

From within Win8.1, IIRC I typed "Recovery" in the search box (Via Classic Shell). Brought up a app which creates media to troubleshoot the machine /reset, whatever. On the main page it has a "tick" box to copy recovery partition to USB media (32GB required). On the main page it says if space is needed... recovery partition can be deleted. (I retained Recovery partition).

Anyhow... Later on when I attempted to create a 2nd set (2nd USB drive) everything was greyed out.
    (It might have been greyed out due to I didn't have USB drive inserted.)

What I'd do to cover all the bases so to speak would be to create media via the manufacturers app, the MS app as well in addition to putting in a call with Acer.

PS: First rep I talked with was unhelpful, 2nd rep I talked with... Told her the recovery media didn't create successfully... She took the info then transferred me over to a manager... Within a short time he authorized getting the discs out to me @ no-charge which in my book is the correct thing to do when the media doesn't create properly.

10. win8netuser

win8netuser MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2014
    This is a used laptop and I do not want to worry about any risk re-using its Win8 files on a new HDD, so creating a recovery flashdrive from the current HDD is not a good solution for me.
    Every info I have found so far was for pre-release, upgrade or retail Win8 versions, not OEM, that's why I started this thread.
    What is the filename of the OEM Core Win8 ISO?
    I suppose I need that filename to find the hash value?

11. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #13 EFA11, Feb 7, 2014
  12. win8netuser

win8netuser MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2014
    well I haven't been able to find an OEM DVD to buy and I don't have a MSDN subscription (I expect they cost a lot? How much?). When I can get the Win8 I need I'll post back about the install which I plan to redo.
    In the meantime I needed to install this new HDD to use my laptop, so I had to buy the vendor flash drive, which of course installed bloatware.. but the apps I want the least, were installed I believe, by Win8 itself, and I'm opening a new thread to deal with these.

I really appreciate all the tech info that was given here, some pointers are very useful reference, and keepers.
    I hope this new thread will receive great answers too, I will greatly appreciate your help again:

Identifying and Removing Win8 Apps which require Microsoft Login, and other Metro...

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/52555-Identifying-and-Removing-Win8-Apps-which-require-Microsoft-Login-and-other-Metro?p=875904#post875904

13. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  14. win8netuser

win8netuser MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2014
    Thanks but from what I saw these are torrent links?
    My internet is already much too slow, it cannot handle that.
    I have had too many laptop malware malfunction problems this year to be able to chance a torrent P2P connection, instead I limit my internet connections and activities to the minimum. To be able to chance a torrent P2P connection, I would need to study that process beforehand and get familiar with its best practices, and get the appropriate utilities/protective software, I haven't had time .
    For all these reasons, especially the time factor, I had to buy the OEM vendor full-recovery flash drive, though I would much prefer to use a plain Win8 disc.
    When I get a Win8 media, I plan to redo the install and I'll get back to this thread to report on what it contains and its installation.

15. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    "I have had too many laptop malware malfunction problems this year to be able to chance a torrent P2P connection"

If so, then you have too little malware protection. And no matter how slow a connection is, one needs protection any time they are connected.

16. win8netuser

win8netuser MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2014
    #18 win8netuser, Feb 25, 2014
    (OP)
    Thanks - this is the file I need:
    en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso (3.3G)
    but I'm wondering actully, is it true-blue Windows OS (only), or does this include and installs the unistallable apps you find in the Start dashboard of tiles?

17. win8netuser

win8netuser MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2014
    that is true, but as I recollect, P2P connection uses a different protocol (UDTP? I'm very rusty on all this) and possibly OSI layer, than HTTP does.
    I think it needs malware protection specialized for P2P, and I don't know which one foots the bill.
    For instance Zone Alarm will to a point, warn you of unaware open ports HTTP traffic, but I'm not sure what it does when you actually proactively, open a tunnelling port as you do in P2P, and I'm not sure whether its protection includes all OSI layers, etc...