Win8 M3 (7989) findings relevant to Managed .net & WPF/SL developers

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by SilverlightWPF, Jun 19, 2011.

1. SilverlightWPF

SilverlightWPF MDL Junior Member

Jun 11, 2011
    #1 SilverlightWPF, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SilverlightWPF

Jun 11, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SilverlightWPF

Jun 11, 2011
    #3 SilverlightWPF, Jun 19, 2011
    (OP)

Attached Files:

4. NaiveUser

NaiveUser MDL Senior Member

Apr 14, 2011
    look at Program Files\Microsoft\Windows.glcnd\ lots of XAML files.

5. SilverlightWPF

Jun 11, 2011
    #5 SilverlightWPF, Jun 19, 2011
    (OP)
    oooooo wow, next on my list to start investigating!!

6. SilverlightWPF

Jun 11, 2011
    it's all within the "windows.ui.directui.*" namespace

7. coolio2

coolio2 MDL Novice

Jun 13, 2011

8. Panda X

Panda X MDL Junior Member

May 29, 2008
    I see that, I meant something else though but it doesn't matter. I find it interesting because most of the explorer uses DirectUI now and I wasn't aware it could be accessed via .NET.

9. SilverlightWPF

Jun 11, 2011
  10. SilverlightWPF

Jun 11, 2011
  11. SL-Fan

SL-Fan MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2011
    #12 SL-Fan, Jun 19, 2011
    Re. "ListView" (there is a ListView in the existing WPF, but not SL)

Hi SilverlightWPF,

About "ListView": Although the existing Silverlight doesn't have it, ListView has been in the existing WPF since the beginning. ListView actually derives from ListBox. The existing WPF ListBox, ListView and DataGrid all derive ultimately from ItemsControl. ListView has more features than a ListBox, but not as many as a DataGrid.

SL-Fan

P.S. I appreciate your enthusiasm about SL/WPF/XAML. It's folks like you that keep me interested in this platform.

Thanks

12. SilverlightWPF

Jun 11, 2011
    #13 SilverlightWPF, Jun 19, 2011
    (OP)
  13. mike.strobel

mike.strobel MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2011
    IVectorView is simply a read-only vector, i.e. a "view" of a vector. I'm guessing that its use in ListView is to expose the items with sorting and filtering applied (in other words, the items which are actually viewable, and in viewable order). That would explain why it's read-only--if the contents are "computed" (based on sorting/filtering), you wouldn't be adding or removing items directly from the view; you'd be modifying the base items collection directly.

14. SilverlightWPF

Jun 11, 2011
    yup that makes sense, question i have is do you see any performance or possible virtualization advantages for using the VectorView?! could this allow for smoother scrolling of large listboxes? and or could you see this as a possible solution to some of the issues we have with virtualization and scrollbar sizing for controls that virtually render large lists?

15. NaiveUser

Apr 14, 2011
    its definetely VC11, not 'managed compiled to native'. why you always turn to build for such obvious things ?

16. NaiveUser

Apr 14, 2011
  17. SilverlightWPF

Jun 11, 2011
    #18 SilverlightWPF, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
    (OP)
  18. SilverlightWPF

Jun 11, 2011
    #19 SilverlightWPF, Jun 19, 2011
    (OP)
  19. SilverlightWPF

Jun 11, 2011
    #20 SilverlightWPF, Jun 19, 2011
    (OP)

The reason why i ask is because if this is being generated with VC++ then MS have built blend tooling equivalent to what we have in the managed world (blend generates XAML ontop of managed code)

If your right and MS now have this tooling that builds XAML ontop of native (VC++) code, thats a big deal that could entice people like me to come over. We sort of know MS are working on tooling BUT we're not sure if its VC++ or JS or both! (or maybe more managed tooling for Jupiter) who knows!!!

And so what if i keep refering to Build as the place to answer all our questions, its turning out to be a great event from what im seeing in the Win8 bits!.