Winblows XP MCE with latest updates, from around 2010???

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by gorski, Dec 9, 2015.

1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Hi!

Might be unusual (sorry if it's kinda "grey area") but....

Does anyone know an MCE with a hack/license/no WGA nags, latest driver detector/installer, latest updates, I think "black" skin of some sort or other etc.?

If I am not mistaken (and I am no expert) - there is such an edition but I can't find it for love or money...

Is SP3 "incompatibility" with MCE solved?

Anything else one needs to know?

A friend has an old PC, so...

He knows a bit of Winblows, so I must do that but I am also planning on installing ZorinOS 9 Ultimate 32b Linux to try and make a bit of a media centre with Kodi...

Help, please, since I know there are people here who really know this stuff... :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. WinDev

WinDev MDL Expert

Jul 6, 2013
    nLite is your friend. All you need is to have a MSDN copy of Windows XP Media Center Edition and to download updates. After that, create an ISO with nLite (integrate updates, remove features etc.) and install it on computer.
    After installation just activate it with OEMBIOS or with some piece of WGA bypass crack. :cool:

3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #3 gorski, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    (OP)
    Thanx, majstore - but I have not been messing with any of it, so it might all amount to nothing in the end, and therefore.... :(

What I can do is install, configure, sort out the apps and so on. But going "behind the scene" is not something I have done before...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. solarstone2149

solarstone2149 MDL Member

Dec 11, 2009
    drugim rijecima preljen si da naucis neke stvari sam obaviti i zelis sve servirano
    e to nejde bas tako ...

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Solarstone, I know my limits, as opposed to you. Perhaps if you thought about things a wee bit slowly and carefully, as in "mindful of differences" - as opposed to your jolly self-centred manner...:rolleyes: Not everybody HAS to know things you know... Ever heard of division of labour? OK, it's a fairly new, kinda capitalist thing, only a few hundred years old but still... :rolleyes: :D And not everybody has to have the time for the same things you have the time for - in my case it would involve plenty of learning about complex things I do not understand in depth, since I am from Humanities, not tech Sciences - and the results would most likely be suspect, at best! In other words, a waste of time.

As opposed to somebody else, well versed in this stuff, experienced and of good will, who might simply know of such a distro and share it, without being a prejudiced arse...

Not that you would care to understand any of this, as it is way different from your little world (which to you equals the world as such :rolleyes: ), especially since this gives you a silly little platform to try to firmly establish your superiority complex... :rolleyes: Still a complex, you know... :rolleyes:

So, my question was to people of good will (not people full of complexes), IF they know... If you do NOT know, like you do not - stay out of it. Simple! :rolleyes:

Tito, thanx but as I explained, it's a bit out of my IT "comfort zone" and to start from scratch with a young family and many other obligations and so on... Simply not feasible/realistic, I need it now (not after a lot of learning and trial and error process...) and I do not need it for myself but for somebody else... Hence, I feel justified to ask a simple question, IF somebody knows and is willing to share.

Not interested in Solarstone type geeks' "views" based on complexes, furiously jumping to conclusions with utter disregard for Human differences...:rolleyes:

7. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Or perhaps if somebody knows an MCE standalone package (not the whole OS) - I found some but they had problems or were no longer seeded, sadly...

You know, the Media Centre only, with problems fixed... or enhanced versions, maybe...

Thanx in advance! :)

8. WinDev

WinDev MDL Expert

Jul 6, 2013
    The latest version is MSDN version which have Service Pack 2b. The only pack which is released by Microsoft is Windows XP Media Center 2004 Update for 2003 edition.

9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Thank you! This info brings some clarity into the mess, since I found 2005, 2009, 2010 editions of all sorts...

You see, my cousin in Novi Sad, to whom I gave my old PC, has the CD with the edition I asked about. But I can't reach him right now and it's frustrating...

It was brilliant for not very powerful HW, that one, installed beautifully on an old machine, found all the devices, installed the drivers, put in some cool apps and tools, had a great black skin - but I can't remember the name and I can't find it any more...

Which leaves me with trying to go legit, so I don't get some nasties in the package I do not know...

Cheers! :)

10. solarstone2149

solarstone2149 MDL Member

Dec 11, 2009
    don't forget to give him speech about capitalism
    so he can yawn too :sleep2:

11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Today, for way too many, it seems spiritual laziness is something to be openly proud about...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    It was almost impossible to install anything today (Win7 Ultimate SP1 64b, KodiBuntu 64b, ZorinOS 9 32b etc., from disk or USB stick)... just to tell you, with my thanx, again, for all the advice! :)

Finally, I managed with XP Pro MCE 32b... Partitioned the small HDD in such a way to have enough unpartitioned (raw) space for KodiBuntu or ZorinOS or Mint 17.3 32b/64b(?) and 4GB SWAP partition.... some other day...

Not finished with many things with Winblows yet... Still an issue with VGA driver etc. But it is flying now... before I put in a security suite or Office or... :D

Pray for me... :D Since my friend is completely useless in IT... :D