Window 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jandm, Jan 16, 2017.

1. jandm

jandm MDL Novice

May 23, 2011
    Can a windows 10 computer be reformatted so windows 7 can be
    installed. My computer is a new one built for windows 10 and it won't let me install windows 7

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    It likely won't be as simple as a format only, but better minds than mine will help you. You're going to have to supply some basic information on your computer: make, model and etc.

Why not just use Windows 10? Its "spying" can be mitigated and Windows 7 in its latest iteration does a lot of its own "phoning home."

3. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Many Windows 10 computers won't allow "legacy" OS's to be installed. A friend brought me a laptop that wouldn't let him install Windows 7 on his Windows 10 laptop. After some digging I found there was a bios update available that allowed the installation of earlier operating systems. So, I'd investigate that option first.

4. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^^
    yep but op need remember to make backup of recover partition first this is very important principaly on new laptop/desktop pc ;)

and Welcome to MDL dude jandm :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    - If it's Skylake (or any computer with only USB 3.0 with no fallback option for 2.0), you need to integrate USB 3.0 drivers into the install image (you need to do this manually; Simplix's pack doesn't cover the install environment)
    - CSM needs to be enabled if using UEFI, and some system firmware doesn''t allow for this to be changed (Acer)
    - If using UEFI, the boot file/folder needs fixed (Rufus may do this automatically? If not, it involves copying a file from install.wim to /EFI/boot or something)
    - If using UEFI, Secure Boot needs to either be disabled, or you need to manually trust the W7 boot efi file