Window 7 64, DAZ Loader & UEFI motherboard: disabling UEFI will work?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Pingone, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Pingone

Pingone MDL Novice

Jun 16, 2012
    I'm about to install Windows 7 64 on a ssd plugged into an Asus p8z77 mobo with UEFI bios , and I have some doubts. From what I read, on UEFI motherboards you can install Win 7 64 in GPT mode only, but this way DAZ loader will not work. The mobo, however, has the ability to disable the UEFI boot and leave only the legacy boot active, allowing to choose MBR or GPT. Considering that I'm not using in the pc hd's larger than 2 Tb (which would require GPT mode) but only in an external nas, disabling UEFI should make DAZ loader work?

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #2 Daz, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Correct. Theres also this:
    Code:
    ##########################################################################
    #   4   -   UEFI motherboards
    ##########################################################################
    The loader doesn't work when the systems using GPT. The workaround is to pre-format your hard drive so that it uses MBR instead.

From your BIOS select to boot the Windows DVD without UEFI, go to the repair options, select command prompt and then enter this:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 0
    clean
    convert mbr
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    format fs=ntfs quick

Boot the Windows DVD the same way you did the first time and then continue with the installation of Windows. Once complete you can then install the loader.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Pingone

Pingone MDL Novice

Jun 16, 2012
    Thank you DAZ :) I think it's the simplest way. However, am I going to miss some important features disabling UEFI? No problems with external hd larger than 2TB? Can/should I reenable it after installation?

4. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    The method I've got documented should allow you to install Windows without disabling UEFI. All you need to do is make sure that you boot the DVD in the non-UEFI mode, and I'm not sure how that's done as I don't personally have a UEFI motherboard just yet.

You won't miss any features by disabling UEFI and I think if you do disable it you can re-enable it :g: I'm not 100% on that, but I would think the system would be smart enough to detect that Windows is using MBR.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Pingone

Pingone MDL Novice

Jun 16, 2012
    That's the point. I'm not sure, without disabling UEFI, if it's possible to choose the way DVD boots...

6. timeleap

timeleap MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2009
    You should be able to choose to boot from DVD drives with or without UEFI support from the BIOS' Boot Sequence setup menu, as far as I know, it should have the option like: "UEFI - SONY DVD RW DRU-870S" and "P1 - SONY DVD RW DRU-870S" assuming you have a drive named SONY DRU-870S, boot from the UEFI option to enable UEFI support during setup and the non-UEFI to use legacy mode, which would allow you to use MBR.

7. _patrik_

_patrik_ MDL Member

May 25, 2007
    confirm all writed from timeleap.

About 2 months ago I installed Windows 7 x64 Ultimate on my new mother-board, the Asus P8Z77-V LX, equipped with a corsair 120 GB ssd.

I started the pc with the Windows 7 Ultimate DVD, at the Asus boot screen pressed F8 and selected the line with the DVD name and without UEFI. A secon line shows the dvd name with the UEFI tag before.

I installed Windows 7 x64 in MBR style on a ntfs 70 GB partition - after made another primary partition, about 50 GB for try Windows 8 preview.

The Daz loader worked without any problem, as always work the Daz's loader.

8. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    You could try to force the DVD to boot MBR. This is a common way to make a Win7 DVD.

oscdimg -lWIN_7 -t04/20/2012:00:00 -o -m -u2 -bootdata:2#p0,e,b.\boot\etfsboot.com#pEF,e,b.\efi\microsoft\boot\Efisys.bin .\ .\Win_BCD.iso

etfsboot.com is for MBR booting, and efisys.bin is for EFI. If you remove the EFI part it may force it to boot MBR. Perhaps this may work.

oscdimg -lWIN_7 -t04/20/2012:00:00 -o -m -u2 -bboot\etfsboot.com .\ .\Win_BCD.iso

I had a Gigabyte hybrid bios (now on a beta full EFI bios) and used some trickery like this for EFI booting. The reverse may work for MBR, especially if you can disable it in bios (instead of EFI boot, try legacy).

9. __Ace__

__Ace__ MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2012
    I also have a UEFI based motherboard (Fatal1ty 990FX) and my problem is that when I choose to boot the windows 7 installation disk without UEFI nothing happens. only when I boot it with UEFI it installs it. anyone have any information about how to boot it without uefi?

10. trancefreak

trancefreak MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Did you get it working? do you have a hdd larger than 2.2TB? Also when you switched the bios to non -efi did it change your boot order, Ahci/IDE/Raid etc?

11. nick0las

nick0las MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2012
    Hi,

You can easily activate Windows in UEFI mode : WindSLIC-UEFI-SLIC-injector

Daz, do you plan an update for Windows Loader to support GPT?

12. BobSheep

BobSheep MDL Guru

Apr 19, 2010
    No GPT support.

13. LuxorLH

LuxorLH MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2012
    #14 LuxorLH, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
    I have just installed windows 7 on a Black Friday (lol) HP that had windows 8, FREAKIN YUK! imo, and DAZ loader (newest) getting the "unsupported partition table" message. I am trying to figure out what to do. I know in the DAZ readme it says to just format the HDD because of either an OEM partition, or GPT Drive on a UEFI motherboard.

Im pretty sure this laptop is probably both a Locked OEM partition AND GPTonUEFI, knowing HP and how new it is, can't you just convert to MBR Disk inside windows7 and install the loader? Or is GPT formatting done at a lower level? If I must format the disk to MBR and reinstall, which method can get this done the quickest? boot disk utility? or what? I usually don't have to mess with formatting other than using windows formatting at install, but I think this one is going to be gay.

This is the first time I have ever encountered a UEFI system, and the only way I knew that is the UEFI/Legacy options in the bios boot settings.

14. LuxorLH

LuxorLH MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2012
    #15 LuxorLH, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
    I also read the GPT is commonly used only on High Capacity drives, so would GPT even be on this little 350GB drive? unless GPT with UEFI is now the norm or some crap! I bet they solely invented this junk knowing that the loaders are working off MBR! lol jk.

15. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Unfortunately not. You can convert from MBR to GPT but not the other way around.

I'm not sure if Windows will use EFI on smaller drives, but I would guess it would since it can be used at smaller sizes too AFAIK.

The easiest way to wipe the drive is to format it completely and not just a single partition of it. I'd guess you have no choice either if everythings EFI/GPT.

16. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Ahem, bios mod/KMS??

:rolleyes:

17. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #18 Daz, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
    The reason I said that is he was asking specifically about how to use the loader. If the OEM partition is on a drive using EFI/GPT then in order to use the loader it must be wiped.

So your suggestions would be valid, but I only was focused on the loader.

18. LuxorLH

LuxorLH MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2012
    Thanks Daz for the reply. I've been using your loader for a few years now MANY times and it's SWEET! I followed your directions to a tee about formatting inside the repair options from cmd and selecting to boot cd non UEFI and Worked like a charm! No more error message and loaded perfectly. Great work man! I've been updating for years! Love it. Oh and did I mention windows8 SUCKS! Merry Christmas.

19. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    I have an ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO Mobo with a 512 GB SSD. I disabled UEFI straight away. I installed Win 7 64 with Daz loader and it worked fine.

Still genuine, still running. :)

BTW: Thanks Daz for your wonderful work and for all you do around Here. :hug2:

Happy Holidays,
    :Miki.