Window 7 Won't Install on 2 TB HD. :SOLVED

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by weberman, Aug 18, 2015.

1. weberman

weberman MDL Junior Member

Jun 4, 2010
    #1 weberman, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    I have several 2 TB WD Black hard drives and I can't get Windows 7 to install on anything bigger than i 1 TB drive.

I know the answer is buried on this forum somewhere, but can't seem to find an answer.

Any help or suggestions, or point me to a post about this greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

WEB :confused:

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Windows 7 is able to install on a 1TB+ HDD
    More info is needed...

3. weberman

Jun 4, 2010
    Every time I try to install to a clean 2 TB drive, I get an error message, unable to install to drive. I have tried three WD 2 TB Black different drives. I don't have much more info.

Motherboard is new Gigabyte UEFI BIOS. I have the drive s set to MBR as Win 7 will not install on a GPT drive. I even tried Low Formatting one of the 2TB drives/

Could there be some setting in the UEFI BIOS that is preventing this?

Any 1 TB drive installs with no problem.

Thanks

WEB

4. weberman

Jun 4, 2010
    #4 weberman, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    (OP)
    I tried installing Win7 64bit and it gave me a message must be MBR!

Lately, I seem to be having nothing but bad luck.

WEB

There are mixed reviews out there, but the general consensus seems to be using special diskpart extra functions, but it seems the installation always fails.

This is the error message

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu"

I keep getting Error code 0X80070057 which has to do with partitions.

I followed the Microsoft instructions to delete the two partitions , one 350 Mb and the other the balance. I dilated them and created new which again gave me two partitions and tried to format the larger one as instructed. Got the same error message but "unable to format Error 0X80070057.

So I am lost. I also tried switching into boot legacy mode but no difference.

Going crazy trying to figure this out. Stopping now and going to bed. Brain fried.

WEB

The Bios says every thing is set properly.

No big deal, I just use MBR. I know drives larger than 2 TB cannot be used for an operating system, but can be recognized for data storage when made GPT.

I really just want to install my Windows 7 to a 2 TB drive and so far NO LUCK. Is it possibly something too do with the UEFI because i did it on Old style Bios motherboard, which I was able to transfer to a new Motherboard with the same chipset 990FXA and it had a UEFI bios?

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #5 Joe C, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    What's the model number of this motherboard your having trouble with?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Krypt2Nyte

Krypt2Nyte MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2015
    Try disable Fast boot in the BIOS and let windows partition the drive during the windows setup. I remember having a similar problem a while back, but I'm pretty sure it was the fast boot options which prevented me installing windows 7, because windows 8.1 worked fine.

Good luck

7. weberman

Jun 4, 2010
    I cannot find any Fast Boot in my Bios. I think that is an Intel thing, not sure though. I have the operating system set to other as the only other choice is Win 8.

Gigabyte F2A85X-UP4 Ver 1 with 16 Gb of Skil Ripjaws memory. AMD processor A10-6800K.

8. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #8 Mr.X, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Highlight in red color the following settings, according to your current setup:
    Code:
    CSM Support
    Always
    Never

Boot Mode Selection
    UEFI and Legacy
    Legacy Only
    UEFI Only

PXE Boot Option Control
    Disabled
    Legacy Only 
    UEFI Only 
    Legacy    
    UEFI

Storage Boot Option Control
    Disabled     
    Legacy Only    
    UEFI Only   
    Legacy
    UEFI

9. weberman

Jun 4, 2010
    #9 weberman, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    I tried changing Boot Mode Selection to Legacy Only but it made no difference

Thanks for your input.

Web

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #10 Joe C, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    Are you installing with a dvd disk or a usb drive?
    Try re-setting the bios to it's default settings

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Make sure the target drive is the only one connected during setup. W7 doesn't like multiple drives and usb hubs when installing.

12. sound2006

sound2006 MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2013
    Sometimes if i have a large hard drive i partition the space to sometime smaller than merge the partition back again.
    Can you try to make the partition on your first drive to sometime like 100GB or 200GB and see if Win10 installs??

If successful than merge the remaining partition back again to reclaim all the space back on your hdd.

13. Fckr

Fckr MDL Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Plug in your 2TB HDD in SATA port 0 and un-plug everything else.

In BIOS, Load Optimized Defaults(F7, I guess) and then save the new settings(F10). Then set:
    Boot Mode Selection: UEFI Only
    CSM Support : Never <<<< Dabble with this setting, if Never doesn't work. Ideally,in this case, it should be Never.
    Display Boot Option Control :UEFI Only
    On Chip SATA Type: AHCI

Are you then able to boot your vanilla W7x64 disc, directly(because I presume your HDD is blank or has MBR Partition Table), or indirectly(using F12, BIOS's boot menu)? If so, just press Shift+F10 in disc's PE environment to bring up command prompt. In CP, type:
    diskpart
    sel dis 0
    clean
    exit

and reboot the system(not compulsory though, I reckon), and let the installation disc create the GPT-enabled partition table'd HDD partitions for you, which should be at least a ~200MB ESP and a MS BDP(the partition where OS will be installed).

Facts:
    2TB HDD can't be booted off using "old" BIOS.
    BIOS(hence, the OS) can't boot off from "vanilla" GPT'd HDD.
    Architecture of both EFI/UEFI and .efi files on the disc must match. If your disc is vanilla, then it should.

Post back! :)

14. weberman

Jun 4, 2010
    Solved

[/B] :eek:

Thank you for this brilliant suggestion. I tried most of the other suggestions first to no avail. I thought this sounded one sounded too simple and tried it last.

It worked perfectly! :worthy::worthy::):):)

I don't know what the problem is as I tried a t TB on my main computer which is also a UEFI bios 990FXA-UD 3 Rev 4 and the same thing happened.

Maybe it is something in the Gigabyte UEFI bios.

I now have an old style motherboard with the old style Bios and going to try that 2 TB on a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 REV 1.

I will post results.

This problem has fried my brain.

And MS can stuff Win 10 as it has caused me numerous problems to many to mention and especially upgrades from Win 7 to 10. They all failed. I am pretty computer savvy and I feel for all those users that upgrade and have problems, it will be a mess.

As someone previously mentioned I think MS is using us to continue a Beta Test even though it RTM.

I think a totally clean install will probably work, but you need an activation key, not free. Only the Preview releases were free.

I also just spent about 3 hours getting my son's Win 7 to Win 10 fixed. His computer was crashing all the time.

Good Luck to All

And thanks for the input.

WEB

15. sound2006

sound2006 MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2013
    Glad this tipped worked.
    I've been doing this for years.
    The problem seems worse on 3TB drive and above, hence why I had experienced the problem before!!