Windows 10 (10240) start menu and taskbar not functioning

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Puremin0rez, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    I'm not quite sure what happened but I restarted my computer and now the start button doesn't work and I can't right click on any apps to bring up the jumplist.

Only thing I did was reboot to install the update that came out today.

Anyone have any solutions? My computer is significantly useless right now without any access to start menu.

I just clean installed this yesterday and all was fine until I rebooted for updates.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Puremin0rez

Nov 24, 2010
    #2 Puremin0rez, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Just had to Google around a bit to find a solution. Apparently this is pretty common with many windows builds. How annoying.

I was able to fix it by running this in Powershell (with admin privs)
    Code:
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    Hopefully this thread helps someone if they have similar issues.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. chilsaoui

chilsaoui MDL Member

Mar 21, 2015
    create a new local or microsoft account and then delete your previous one

4. gimotan12

gimotan12 MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2014
    yes I experience that problem before from all previous builds (all of them). it happens when I use utility tools like wisecare 365, advanced system care, or any system tuneup utilities, so like "chilsaoui" said, create new local account, then delete the other account, after you delete just connect it again to your Microsoft account, and its working again.

5. Puremin0rez

Nov 24, 2010
    Ah, yes! It's CCleaner on my computer that's causing it. It must be deleting an important Windows 10 registry key that keeps the start menu alive. How silly.

Thanks for the help guys but I found a faster solution then creating a new user account - I posted it right below my original post.