Windows 10 10586.3 and slow login problem

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MartinMDL, Nov 13, 2015.

1. MartinMDL

MartinMDL MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2012
    Hi guys. Yesterday I successfully upgraded my W10 10240 RTM PRO build to the new 10586.3, everything went fine. Unfortunately though I'm now faced with a problem I didn't have before: the login is kinda slow. The OS is running on an SSD drive so it boots fine and quick, but then it stays for 10-15 seconds (maybe more) on the welcome screen with my name, my avatar and the spinning circle. After browsing the web for some answers I tried everything I could find on the subject, including but not limited to:
    1. switching from an online account (@outlook.com) with a PIN login to a local account with no PIN nor PWD;
    2. disabling all non essential services from startup;
    3. disabling ipv6 from my network card properties;
    4. etc

none of these did the trick. I would also like to add that my background is a series of jpeg images, so no solid-color wallpaper which I read caused some login troubles on windows 7.
    Is there anything else at all that might be the cause of this? I didn't have this problem before, login was blazing fast (desktop would show a couple seconds later after entering my PIN number).
    Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

2. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    after mentioning the slow boot times yesterday, all I got for a reply was get a ssd, so I wouldn;t expect much ;)

3. ChaserLee

ChaserLee MDL Senior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Well, I have a SSD, and after the upgrade, my login screen displays for about 10 seconds after I scan my fingerprint. After the 10 secs, it goes into the desktop environment, and things are ready to go, including Aida64, which previously took about 10 seconds to load up after entering the desktop.

So, on my system, the difference is that with 10240 I would go from login screen to desktop, then have to wait about 10 secs before all is ready to use. Now, with 10586, the delay seems to be at the login screen, and once the desktop shows, Aida64 has already been loaded and ready to go.

Overall, the time from fingerprint scan, to ready-to-use desktop is about the same in both builds. The only difference is that before the desktop would display, and the delay would happen, and now the login screen displays, and the delay happens.

Aida64 is set to a delayed startup of 10 seconds by default, so it's not the programs fault. Just normal behavior for it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. vipanonymous

vipanonymous MDL Senior Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Same here.. 30-40 seconds to get to the desktop

Also when boot the windows logos and the dots appear, then screen goes black, then windows logo is back on :eek:

5. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    none of does issues in surf pro 3:D

6. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Yes, BUT, let's see you render a large Daze3D file in a surface pro 3... :D:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. antonio8909

antonio8909 MDL Guru

Feb 16, 2014
    #7 antonio8909, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    Same happens here in the Spanish version. The laggy second screen and later the start page need 20 secs or more for load

8. SlompOchomp

SlompOchomp MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2012
    upgraded...sigh... maybe do a clean install. I am on raid with 2 Crucial M550s and boot is very fast no hangs at login, but I guess I am old school because I did a clean install.

9. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    yea, thats a great idea, compensate a software FAILURE with hardware. Typical m$.

10. elzna

elzna MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2013
    yes. new windows 10 version is s**tty, i reverted back to 10240 and now instant login and 0.1 sec spinning circle. ssd 500gb samsugn evo 850

11. WardocsRevenge

WardocsRevenge MDL Expert

Jan 13, 2012
    not a single issue with th2 nothing is slow nothing is bugged if you have a issue do a clean install or uninstall all drivers or do a repair don't just blame ms for your failure to fix things

12. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    #12 ChaserLee, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    With all due respect, just because you don't have a single problem, doesn't mean that countless other people who do, is a result of operator error. It most certainly is the poor coding, and rushed release of a build, that is the responsibility of MS. The reported problems are as varied as they are numerous, so I do not see a common denominator, except for MS. Do not mistake your "good luck" as being the golden ruler that all are judged and measured by.

You advocate and support the premise that all a user has to do is perform a 'clean install'. On this forum there are many, many people with the tech skills to do just that. However, if you take a step back, and view the world of users as a whole, how many of them do you suppose could even start to do something like a 'clean install', when MS chose to deliver the upgrade via a 'non-clean install' format? Did MS intend for people to have to uninstall all their drivers when they got the pushed Windows Update? Did MS intend for people to have to do a 'clean install' when they got the pushed Windows Update?

Do you still think MS has no responsibility for these many, many problems?

13. TShadow

TShadow MDL Junior Member

May 21, 2007
    Well I've done 2 upgrades and 1 clean install. The logon on all 3 installations is much slower than on 10240. If you've an AMD graphics card, beware that the upgrade sets the driver to default, thus if you had EnableUlps set to 0 to avoid the long black screen, it will be set again to 1 by the upgrade.

14. KrlzGmz

KrlzGmz MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    So in this thread the suggestions to fix this awful update/upgrade model are either Clean install every 4 months, or buy a SSD (clean install twice if you already have an SSD).

You guys are awesome :clapping::kick:

15. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    I understand your sarcasm, but for the time being, it is what it is. There are SO MANY problems, that no one has the answer to them all. That's why many fall back on the tried and true, boiler-room response of "Do a clean install." Almost sounds as if you are speaking with an outsourced Help Desk, yes? o_O

The plain truth is that there is not one, blanket, answer. People are searching for any and all ways to try to overcome the problems of the new build, but for the time being, it's a case of just use it the best you can until a fix comes along, or install another OS. MS released a hotfix just this morning in an attempt to solve the first of many issues contained in the new build. As in anything, the OS will get better, in degrees, as time goes on.

Not what you want to hear, I realize, but it's the vanilla truth, no candy coating to it. Now, on the other hand, if you, yourself, find a solution to some of the problems, then I'll be the first to tell you that 'You are awesome!" ;)

16. MartinMDL

MartinMDL MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2012
    That is no doubt good news, but it makes me wonder what the heck those MS guys have been doin' in the many months of work that led to the release of this build. I mean what about the slow ring / fast ring testing system? What about the thousands of users out there testing the product before releasing it to general availability? Haven't they come across any of the many problems highlighted by this and others communities? Anyway I guess the only thing to do for now is wait, use the OS as is and let those guys do their job..once again. :p

17. aaaaalex

aaaaalex MDL Member

Sep 25, 2011
    I've made 1 upgrade from 10240 and 1 clean install.
    - The desktop I made the upgrade works just fine, pretty much at the same speed than 10240.
    - The laptop I made a clean install (previously it had Win8.1) it starts quite slower, and if I open Task Manager I see a huge HDD usage for about 2-3 minutes. :confused:

Also, the "Windows logo / black screen / Windows logo" is something I saw in past TH2 builds, so...

18. antonio8909

antonio8909 MDL Guru

Feb 16, 2014
    The same happens to me!

19. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    I'm very happy to report that the KB3105211 update pushed out yesterday has solved the login issue on my system. It no longer shows the login screen for 10 seconds after I scan my fingerprint. It goes straightaway to the desktop now. I still have the 10 second delay for AIDA64 to startup, but that is normal for that program.

So, there is light at the end of the tunnel for some of the reported problems. It's as I said, just takes a while for any new build to manifest problems, and for those problems to then be addressed by MS. Some, however, never get addressed until the next build that is pushed out as an Upgrade... o_O

20. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Ummm, spending their money?? :D