windows 10 9926 too many 16bit programs

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by TheMrCaveman, Mar 11, 2015.

1. TheMrCaveman

TheMrCaveman MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    Hey guys,

I just turned on my pc and can't do anything with it anymore.
    It keeps showing me this error when turning off pc: too many 16bit programs open- change config.sys.:confused::confused:
    What can i do to fix this? :confused:

No new hardware is installed and no new software was installed since few days.

2. Terepin

Terepin MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Wait, Windows 10 can run 16-bit software?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    32-bit version can

4. TheMrCaveman

TheMrCaveman MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    Yes but it's a 64bit install so i am still not able to use pc.
    Decided to reinstall pc!:eek:

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Just do an clean install!!

Means you shouldn't keep any 'old' apps etc. Personally I would do an LowLevel Format of that HDD to get it really clean and than install Windows. If you use already Dual Boot with other OS'es, your problem may came from that. Just disconnect all other HDD's, except those for the Windows install, you could reconnect them after install and use the BIKOS Boot Manager for to chose which HDD should start (if you'd used Dual Boot!)!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. TheMrCaveman

TheMrCaveman MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    #6 TheMrCaveman, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    (OP)
    Thanks for the tip:big_boss: Did a secure erase on both ssd's and did a clean install of build 9926. Will install drivers and so on tonight and see if it keeps working!

7. jhanford

jhanford MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2013
    I swear, I thought you were messing with us. That is the most bizarre error message this decade!

8. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    You really need to stop using 16-bit programs. SRSLY.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Sometimes that seems impossible for some works! I also need to run sometimes 16bit apps because of very old data, special Layouts etc. which I couldn't run in newer 32bit apps because those old apps were never updated later on. I also use one old machine with Windows 3.11 and Geoworks Ensemble from time to time because of those old Layouts and drawings!

And believe it or not, in some older CNC Machines and Wirecutting machines, the computers even 8bit (8086/88)! One of our customers has 3 of those machines with 8bit Computers and they still works very well. By the way, updates to newer system are impossible, would need to change the whole machines and that cost's millions of Thai Baht.

Not everybody has or could work with latest technologies!!