Windows 10 activation after motherboard change.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by phazedelta1, Aug 3, 2015.

1. phazedelta1

phazedelta1 MDL Junior Member

Aug 29, 2013
    I can't find this answer anywhere, so i'm asking here before I contact Microsoft. How are we going to reactivate if we have to replace our motherboard? If we have to contact Microsoft, what info are we going to need to provide for the new stuff?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

2. ReXX

ReXX MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2009
    Basically the first year (until 28th july 2016) you have to install Windows 7/8.1 and upgrade from there.
    After that you have to buy a license.

3. phazedelta1

Aug 29, 2013
    I'm going to need a source for that. If that's true, that's going to make a lot of people very upset.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you'd upgraded from an legal License you own, I do believe that the Phone activation would do the Job if the MB were changed, which maybe not applies for an original OEM License! That said, if you own an original Licenses, keep that infos for in case.....! May you would get more precise infos if you contact Microsoft Support!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. phazedelta1

Aug 29, 2013
    Yes, I upgraded from a legal 8.1 key. I'm going to contact MS later today and find out. I'll reply back with the info i get.

6. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I'm interested to hear what they say as well.
    I already know that phone activation does not work on the upgrade offer activation.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Tested that on my Laptop yesterday! It worked, just was need to have my old Product Key and the HWID and were get an new activation code. Done via the Singapore MS Activation Server via Phone! The problem were that I updated my BIOS of the Laptop upfront and the initial Activatione were gone!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. phazedelta1

Aug 29, 2013
    It was Retail.

9. heartbrake

heartbrake MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2013
    I got win 8 on my laptop. My win8 key was stored in bios and it used to automatically activate online after every reinstallation. My MBoard failed and the laptop was in warranty. So the guy bought a new MBoard and hey gave me a document. That document contains a product key which I now have to put everytime I install and activate Win8. The key is no longer in my BIOS. Is is a retail license? When I click on properties of "this pc", I saw OEM is written in my Product ID.

10. mugurelu

mugurelu MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2010
    Well, just yesterday I was looking for a response to this situation.
    According to MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS:
    " Transfer. The provisions of this section do not apply if you acquired the software as a consumer in Germany or in any of the countries listed on this site (aka.ms/transfer), in which case any transfer of the software to a third party, and the right to use it, must comply with applicable law.
    a.Software preinstalled on device. If you acquired the software preinstalled on a device (and also if you upgraded from software preinstalled on a device), you may transfer the license to use the software directly to another user, only with the licensed device. The transfer must include the software and, if provided with the device, an authentic Windows label including the product key. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.
    b.Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices. "

So IMO if you change the mobo/other big changes - "the lifetime of the device" (as M$ put it) will end. Case in which:
    - if you have a OEM licence and the device died, if don't get it repaired under warranty so to ask for a new licence you'll be left out,
    - if you have a retail licence bought, that can be transferred to a new device with no problem :clap:

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    update your bios and you lose activation since when never heard of it.

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ mugurelu, retail licence could always be transferred.

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #15 pisthai, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    I updated the BIOS with an self modified one! The BIOS just worked file just Windows 10 Pro were deactivated and I think it simply were because of the BIOS change!

Edit and ad: Those change of the BIOS may had triggers the change of the HWID!

14. cengizhan

cengizhan MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    updating bios breaks activation. i have also experienced this.

15. mockingbird

mockingbird MDL Member

Mar 13, 2011
    As I suspected, the "free" upgrade is a temporary activation.

I'll have to purchase keys like I did with Win8.

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It's not different to other licenses. When the 'hardware' changes it sooner or later triggers activation...anyway this is strange a BIOS update should not trigger it unless you change SMBIOS values...

17. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    When an in warranty MB is replaced outside the factory, the OEM-DM key is exchanged for an OEM-COA key. You still have an OEM license.

18. Yemble

Yemble MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    KMSPico :p