Windows 10 Activation Issue

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Davy49, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Davy49

Davy49 MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Hi All,
    Well, I'll start off by saying I did something rather 'stupid'..yesterday I had the idea to upgrade my wifes older laptop ( Acer Aspire 5250-BZ873 ) to windows 10 from window 7. As most everyone knows that some time the first of next year, microsoft is 'supposedly' going to stop giving security updates to the operating system. I think where I went wrong was previously her laptop came with windows 7 home premium oa edition installed on it, and as I'm quite a bit older now..my memory isn't what it used to be. As I remember though..something happened and I remember asking her if she would like me to update her system from the home edition to the pro edition, she said sure. I have a disc that has windows 7 all edition's on it ( pre-activated ) . So I installed the 64-bit windows 7 pro edition, yesterday when I installed windows 10 on her laptop I used a disc labeled ' windows 10 install media / 32-bit & 64-bit ). I think that's where my issue started..because now windows 10 pro 64- bit edition isn't activated..and of course I don't have a 'valid' 25 digit product key available to get it activated. I'm trying to 'rack' my brain to figure out a way to get past this dilemma..I know there is a method to do so, but my brain hasn't told me how to do it yet. Can someone PLEASE suggest a easy way for me to get in the 'activated' category ?
    Thanks,
    David

2. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    Did u check if the laptop has the windows COA sticker under the machine usually were the battery goes.

3. Davy49

Davy49 MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Hi,
    Yes, but the coast sticker is for the operating system that was originally installed on the laptop ( windows 7 home premium, 64-bit ). That wouldn't help me would it ?

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    What pre-activation did that windows 7 ISO use for Pro? If KMS or a crappy removewat, the upgrade won't get a DL.

On a system with a valid slic for 7, you only had to do an anytime upgrade from HomePremium to Professional, by entering the oem:slp key from DAZ loader keys.ini file and it would have been genuinely activated. Next upgrade to 10 Pro, and it will get a HWID/DL for 10 Pro.

Always use clean MVS iso's.

5. Davy49

Davy49 MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Enthousiast,
    At this point in your opinion what would be a good next step, I really don't want to spend a fortune and have to purchase a product key from microsoft. I was going to send you a message, but I noticed you have that option blocked.
    David

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Reinstall 7 Pro (using a clean MSDN/MVS ISO) and use DAZ Loader, it will genuinely activate it by using the existing slic. And upgrade to 10 Pro or go the gatherosstate.exe route

Or just clean install 10 Pro (using a clean MVS win 10 consumer iso) and use a hwid solution (not to be discussed on MDL) or KMS_VL_ALL.

7. Aly

Aly MDL Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Win10 key on ebay cost less than a cup of coffee :shutup2:

8. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You can throw away this money also without using ebay.
    Windows 10 is still free for everyone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    Exactly, time is money, I never understand people, who try various cracks and methods for hours, even days, instead of simply buying the key for $3, it takes like 2-3 mins to buy and to activate. I guess some people just like it hard. :D

10. Davy49

Davy49 MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Wasn't trying to offend / get anyone excited about my issue..to be honest, I surely don't have as much technical knowledge about stuff like that as other more 'advanced' member's might have. Besides that, my age is starting to take it's toll on my thinking as of late, NOT as sharp/focused as I once was. Thanks so much for all of the advice !!
    David

11. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I remember that one pratha guy from like 5-7 years ago who was selling keys and running download scams where people were paying to download msdn files.
    I remember hearing about him getting arrested and I don't think a single person on Earth was upset about it, except maybe him.

12. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    @Davy49 Your best option right now it to back up all of your data that you want to keep, and then do a clean install as Enth. states, either Windows 10 Pro w/KMS or re-install 7 Pro and activate with the Daz Loader, then do the upgrade to 10.
    It's probably much easier to just wipe the drive and install 10 Pro with KMS_VL_ALL as suggested.
    I think that you do not want to lose any software you have and it sounds easier to just get a suspicious key but in the long run you'll have a much more stable install by doing a back up of data and a "Clean" install.
    I'd say 99% of the time you can re-install your software or at least contact the devs of the software and explain that your upgrading and they will help you with getting a new download with your existing software key

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    windows home editions are still getting free upgrades from windows 7 to windows 10 from MS, I did it for the wife's old computer. trying to go to a better windows 10 version on an old machine doesn't help much unless you upgrade the hardware .

14. Davy49

Davy49 MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Hey Forum Mod's,
    Unless I've missed the setting in here, is there anyway to mark a post as 'solved' ??
    David

15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    At the upper right corner you can find "thread tools" it offers to edit the thread title.