Windows 10 and amd athlon 64 x2!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Ozzyman, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Ozzyman

Ozzyman MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2009
    Why can't i upgrade my computer from windows 7 ultimate to windows 10 professional?it gives me strange message that my cpu not are compatibel with windows 10!Very strange!My computer specs:ram:4 gb,graphics:nvidia 9500GT/1 gb,cpu:amd athlon 64/x2 3.50 ghz,motherboard asus .......i'll be grateful for some answers,explenation

Ozzyman

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Normally that should works well with your machine! My nebourgh is using an AMD X2 3GHz with DFI MB and 3 GB ram and an older Nvidia card with no problems! May, if you didn't does yet, you upddate the BIOS to latest available and set it to Best Performance and try again!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ozzyman

Ozzyman MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2009
    Thank you for the answer!I have already update to latest BIOS on my MB! I have also set MB to best performance!My machine runs very fast and smothly with windows 7ultimate......
    Maybe i skip the upgrade to windows 10?......

Ozzyman

4. ultimate_live

ultimate_live MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2011
    How did you set your MB to best performance, because I have aoslo an ASUS MB.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That have to be done on BIOS! Means you have to open the BIOS with the related Hotkey, normally the Del Key while start the computer!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. spkleader

spkleader MDL Senior Member

Oct 13, 2009
    I have one of those f*ckers which misses one ancient instruction set from the 486 era.. "CMPXCHG16B".
    So as scandal1981 says... You'll have to go with 32 bit, or keep Windows 7.

That's how life is... ;)

7. hearywarlot

hearywarlot MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Becareful of trying to flash/update the BIOS of your motherboard, if you make a mistake like having the wrong file or power loss, your motherboard will turn into a brick, permamently!
    Only do this if you are really sure it will solve your problem.
    For a good example would be flashing to be able to use a new Haswell Refresh CPU, which many new mobo's BIOS do not support yet or not being able to start from USB because of BIOS bug.

8. maya77

maya77 MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Windows 7 and Windows 8 x64 supported processors without CMPXCHG16b.
    Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 x64 does not support them.

You can either use Win7/8 if you wish to go 64-bit, or switch to 32-bit OS if you want to use Windows 8.1/10.

9. hearywarlot

hearywarlot MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Also just for info, flashing a new version of a BIOS does not add CPU capabilities unless the CPU itself has that capability, so do not think flashing will help you in this case ^^.