Windows 10 and older hardware

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Amarildo-Jr, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Amarildo-Jr

Amarildo-Jr MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2014
    Hi,

Here's my Setup:

* AMD Athlon II X2 250 @ 3.6GHz
    * 4GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance @1666 MHz
    * MSI 9800GT 512 MB (factory OC)
    * Legacy BIOS

Will Windows 10 behave "OK" on my setup?
    If I come from 7 Ultimate activated, will I still need to activate 10?
    What are the solutions to actiave 10? (I'm looking but couldn't find anything yet).

2. WildByDesign

WildByDesign MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2013
    Put it this way, I am running Windows 10 Tech Previews on a netbook (Acer Aspire One 722) with a AMD C60 1GHz processor, 4GB. And this thing is faster than it ever was with Windows XP or even Windows 7. Windows 8.1 and also Windows 10 run smooth as butter for me here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WildByDesign

Sep 8, 2013
    It all comes down to whether or not the drivers are there for your system. You might have to do a bit of research or see if anyone else has similar setup and reports success.

These Windows 10 Tech Previews come with the product key built into the ISOs and automatically activate once you connect to the Internet. No need to worry about activation at this point. It's still roughly a year away until final release.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    10 is still in alpha/beta (JUNK state). And you do not have to activate it, it comes with a key. Its free because it is incomplete (not finished) and not meant to be used as a production system. I would suggest against using it for everyday use if you do banking, work etc with it. If you wait until after the new year, there might be a better build available than the current. Either way, expect to run into problems with applications and drivers.

With that out of the way, I dont see why your system should have any issues running 10, it runs on far less systems just fine.:v:

-ed-
    Wild is a fast poster, got two off before I got one out the door lol

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Wrong! In some stages an manual Activation is still required, just use the P-Key given by MS!

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  7. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    you need to check if your cpu has the following instructions with aida64 I suggest:

CMPXCHG16B Instruction, LAHF / SAHF Instruction, and also Data Execution Prevention (DEP, NX, EDB)

hope this helps

8. WildByDesign

Sep 8, 2013
    I agree with you, running either Windows 8.1 or these 10 Tech Preview builds have been running much smoother compared to Windows 7 on older hardware.

Microsoft has definitely done some good work with regards to utilizing hardware efficiently. Hardware utilization was brutal in Vista, but became more efficient with each release going forward (7, 8.x, 10) and that is good to see.

9. Amarildo-Jr

Amarildo-Jr MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2014
    Thanks everyone!

But once activated, I won't need to install the new builds, right? I mean, once installed: new builds are gonna be pushed through regular Windows update.

10. donsr

donsr MDL Member

Aug 24, 2013
    my hardware older than ever windows 10 is works fine and bit slow and error in windows because that was in beta stage ..same athlon processor .. works fine

11. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I think those running Windows XP would find this helpful when pondering on migration in relation to the hardware specifications.

12. l30

l30 GFX Wizard

Apr 14, 2014
    I have installed on 7 machines which are core 2 duo and dual core, and their specs are also low but windows 10 is working fine on them, didn't have any problem and speed is much better

13. Amarildo-Jr

Amarildo-Jr MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2014
    I might go for 10 if there will be activation solutions in this forum the same way there are for 8.

14. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    when the final release is out....their will be a KMS activator floating around.

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Don't forget: MS is learning!! Too!! Also from MDL Post's!!

Depend they would change some of the Activation Process again, it may could be taken some time for to get that tool!

The time will teach!

16. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Now that we have Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9888 leaked to the public we can see how much apps work on it regarding compatibility.